Seniors Sent Off With a Win Against Minot State

Hayley Niewohner
Third Year, Quarterback Cole Stenstrom faces off against a Minot State defensive player.

The Winona State University football team snagged another excellent win this past weekend over Minot State University, wrapping up their 2023 season in front of a massive home crowd of near 1,800.

Despite the frigid weather, the community once again came together to celebrate the Warrior Game Day Experience before travelling inside the stadium to support their team and its senior players with palpable excitement.

The game began as a backand-forth between the two teams, a struggle to maintain the ball and move into the endzone until Quentin Pringle came in clutch for the team with a touchdown from four yards out with just four minutes left in the quarter.

Jacob Scott, a third-year kicker with an impressive record, moved Winona State into a 7-0 lead with an extra point kick. In the second quarter, the special teams would assist Scott in two field goal attempts.

“Even when things don’t go the way I wanted, it’s important to recover and make it the next time,” Scott said. “1-0! It’s all about the response!”

True to his word, one of the attempts would make its way through the goal post, pushing the Warriors to 10-0 to end the first half. After an entertainment filled half-time and a renewed energy built among the crowd, both teams headed back onto the field for the second half.

The Warriors’ defense kept Minot State in check throughout the entire third quarter after a fumble allowed the Beavers to take over on the offensive, holding them at just 11 offensive yards until they could finally take possession of the ball once more. In his second field goal of the day, Scott would once again drive the scoreboard further in favor of Winona State at 13-0.

Unfortunately, once the fourth quarter clock began to tick down the Warriors could no longer hold Minot State at bay. From 73 yards out, the Beavers would make their first scoring play, also taking the point after to move their score to 13-7. Winona State would maintain the lead but the upset to the otherwise significant point and play advantage raised the stakes of the home closer.

The Warriors could not push their score any further due to the defense of Minot State, but after a blocked kick and the quick return to the opposing team, Winona State was able to return the favor. Positioned at the sixth yard line, the Beavers looked as though they would pull off just what they needed to pull the game in their favor, but the Warrior defense once again prevented their efforts as Clay Schueffner and Enrique DeLeon kept the offense in place. The game would end with a Warrior win when Trevor Paulson took a knee to run the clock out, officially closing out the 2023 season.

Despite it being the end of the season, football spirit still ran high among fans of the game, both students and community members alike.

“I loved going to the games with my friends, it didn’t really matter the outcome, it was always fun,” a second-year student decked out in support of the Warriors in purple garb said. “I’m already pretty excited for the next season so I can be way more involved.”

After a great season, Winona State was able to recognize 15 senior players and send them off to the next stages of their lives with one final Warrior win under their belt.