Saint Patrick’s Day in Downtown Winona

Karleigh Johnson
A Saint Patrick’s Day flag waves in the cold wind, signaling all green-wearing guests to come enjoy Irish food and drinks.

Saint Patrick’s Day was this past Sunday, March 17th, 2024, and gave many a reason to celebrate. There were lots of festivities for the holiday, right in our very own city of Winona. Local restaurants and bars took the day as an opportunity to offer special events, menus, and music. For permanent residents and college students alike, it doesn’t matter if you’re not Irish, as the festivities are for everyone!

At Blooming Grounds Coffee House, in downtown Winona, they hosted the band Patina to perform Irish and Celtic music from 6pm until 8pm on Friday, March 15th to kick off the holiday weekend. The band incorporates a wide variety of instruments in their Irish music, such as the violin, guitar, flute, Celtic whistles, Irish flute, accordion and of course their vocals.

Winona’s own Bub’s Brewing, a bar and restaurant also in downtown Winona, hosted their special themed event which offered a unique Saint Patrick’s Day menu. Bub’s chose to remain open for the holiday, inviting in friends, family, and students alike to celebrate the Saint Patrick’s Day fun. Bub’s Irish-themed special menu offerings included corned beef and cabbage, corned beef brisket Reubens, Irish stew, and Irish beverages.

Many businesses in downtown Winona chose to decorate their storefronts in some way to create a bright and festive atmosphere for customers. Bub’s Brewing decided to hang a Saint Patrick’s Day flag right outside their store, properly summoning all the brightly dressed members of the community.

Bub’s Brewing offered special themed Saint Patrick’s Day 2024 shirts for purchase for just $20. And while downtown Winona customers are welcome regardless of apparel, buildings were filled with guests wearing clover leaf headbands, glitter, beads, temporary tattoos, and of course decked out in their bright green outfits.

Marley, one of the visitors at the Bub’s Brewing Saint Patty’s Day event, explained that she came to enjoy lunch and hang out. Another girl, Colette, mentioned that she had come to go out to eat, hang out at home, and overall spend time with friends and family, which has become a tradition.

“We do this every year,” Colette said.

This past Friday and Saturday were big for nightlife, giving college students the excuse to dress up, go out, and spend time with friends. Many of the local bars were filled with students dressed alike in their festive green makeup, beads, and apparel. The weekend’s festivities served as a chance to enjoy delicious food and drinks offered specifically for the holiday weekend.

Kevin, a Winona community member, also spent the day in downtown Winona to celebrate. When asked about his plans for Saint Patrick’s Day 2024, he described that the day was full of possibilities.

“We’ll see, you never know. We’ll start the fuse here and who knows what will happen,” Kevin said.

Overall, whether you are Irish or not, the city of Winona truly came together to present a jam-packed weekend of festive offerings, and the community showed up.