WSU Theater Department Presents “Play On!

Lilia Barrett
The Winona State Play on! playbill from an exciting, entertaining and comedic night for the audience in the DuFresne Performing Arts Center.

Winona State University’s Theater and Dance Department hosts “Play On!”. The show takes place in the Robert A. DuFresne Performing Arts Center (PAC) on the Vivian Fusillo stage where it was presented from April 10th through April 13th. The cast, production crew, and others who helped make this play come to life were excited for the four performances that took place at 7:30 p.m. “Play On!” is about a group of community theater members who are trying to put on a play written by a local playwright.

The problem is…the playwright keeps adding revisions to the script as the characters try to keep the play moving. This all comes together to create a hilarious 2-hour long comedy that keeps the crowd laughing and engaged throughout the performance. Jim Williams, the director of “Play On!”, speaks about the auditioning process for students who had wanted to be involved in the play.

“We hold two days of auditions, and they are open to the campus as well as to the majors and to the community. They come into auditions with a memorized monologue and perform in front of myself and for the other directors,” Williams said.  “Then they might get a callback, so we can see them again before we make our final decision.”

The ten cast members performing in “Play On!” had been rehearsing for six weeks, spending about two to three hours each day, working to perfect the play. With rehearsals every day but Saturday, plenty of effort and dedication was involved in making the show come to life. After the play had been performed, Miranda Bristle, an audience member, and part of the Winona community, shared her opinion.

“A comedy is such an uplifting, entertaining performance because you never know when the next punchline is coming. I think the choice of a comedy during the last few months of school is a perfect way to end the year on a high note,” Bristle said.

Each time a new play is being prepared, the faculty sits down, and each person suggests three or four plays to be performed in the upcoming season. The students also have a say in what will be performed. The question “What is something you would say to people who are considering joining theater?” was asked. Jim Williams shares his answer.

“It’s a lot of fun, and it’s a lot of work. The thing about shows is, especially with a large cast like this, they meld together right away. They get along with each other, and now they’re like a little group. It is all one big community,” Williams said.