Winona State Dance Team Heads to Nationals!

Hayley Niewohner
Winona State dance team performs on Maxwell Field.

The Winona State dance team is a fully student led team who perform primarily on the sidelines and at halftime during Winona State football games. They also perform at the Warrior game day experiences, perform at half time for men and wom- en’s basketball game and compete all around the Midwest. All those interested in the team try out each year and for those who are welcomed to the team, they practice five to seven times a week. The captains who are elected for the team choreograph all of the routines for the current season.

Every year, the Winona State dance team attends the National Dance Alliance (NDA) camp in the fall.

“This consists of an NDA staff member flying to Winona to work with the team for two 8-hour days,” captain Kelsey Anderson said. In these two days, the team learns several small routines and one full routine that are evaluated at the end of the camp. The staff watch to see how well the team performs, how they improve and how they work together on the full team routine. If it is decided that their performance qualifies a bid, the team attends the NDA nationals in Daytona, FL. This year, Winona State successfully earned their bid and headed to nationals on April 10.