Integrated Wellness Complex adds smoothie bar

Rebecca Mueller/Winonan

Smoothie Bar
Perform, the new smoothie bar in the Integrated Wellness Complex, is now open for business.
Matthew Seckora/Winonan

Perform, a new smoothie bar in the Integrated Wellness Complex, opened on Aug. 30 in the concession stand across from McCown Gymnasium. The new venue is open every Monday through Friday from 3 to 9 p.m.

In the event that a sporting event is scheduled to take place in the McCown Gymnasium during Perform’s normal hours, only the concessions portion of the venue will be open.

Since the smoothie bar concept was announced to the Student Senate at the Feb. 1 meeting this year, Integrated Wellness Complex staffers have received positive feedback from students and faculty.

“The buzz is very energetic, very positive,” said Adrian Shepard, coordinator of the Integrated Wellness Complex.

Perform was originally scheduled to open for business immediately following spring break in March 2012, but the opening was delayed because of setbacks obtaining the correct cooler component. The first shipment contained the wrong part. The second shipment contained the correct part, but it was damaged. On the third shipment, the correct part had arrived undamaged, but the semester was already coming to an end.

Perform’s menu includes smoothies made with components from Freshens, Outtakes snacks, nutrition bars and a variety of other healthy options. These selections are meant to optimize a workout, but are also designed to be items that anyone will enjoy.

The menu is divided into two basic menu types, called Pre-Performance and Post-Performance. Pre-Performance items are designed to provide nutrition before a workout by including carbohydrates without fat or fiber. Post-Performance snacks are meant to rejuvenate the body after a workout by providing a balance of proteins and carbohydrates.

“Perform is something our national nutritionist developed,” said Bruce Bechtle, director of Dining Services. The concept has been incorporated into the venue’s design, title, and menu selection.

As with any of the dining venues on campus, all forms of payment can be used at Perform, including Kryzsko Kash, Purple Pass, Dining Dollars, cash, or credit card. Currently, cash is not being accepted because a cash register has not yet been installed.

In addition to its healthy menu options, Perform also features a small seating area. Four stools have been placed at the counter next to the concession stand, and Shepard is considering adding a table to the space after taking a closer look at the IWC’s traffic patterns to ensure that the addition would not interrupt the traffic flow. According to a traffic pattern study conducted during the fall 2011 semester, an average of 2,000 students per day have used the IWC’s facilities since the building was constructed.

The venue is designed to reach students and faculty who spend time in the buildings surrounding the Integrated Wellness Complex. Athletes will benefit from the healthy snacks designed to optimize their workouts. Students and faculty learning and teaching in nearby buildings or who pass the IWC on their way home can enjoy the convenience of Perform’s location instead of relying on the Smaug.

“I think I would use it from time to time,” said junior Whitney Williams, a student.

Although Perform is beneficial for some students and faculty, the location may not be convenient for everyone.

“I don’t come [to the IWC] that often,” said sixth-year student Claire Borchard. She and a number of other students spend the majority of their time in the academic buildings closer to Kryzsko Commons, so Perform may not be a useful option for them.

Bechtle is planning to hold a grand opening for Perform next week. Advertising will be featured on TV screens around campus and on the WSU Dining Services Facebook page. The Residence Housing Association and other organizations on campus will also be helping to increase awareness of the new venue.

In the meantime, Perform staff members Kris Lee and Paul Romero are working with retail manager Chad Johnson to refine the venue and remove any glitches before the grand opening.

Contact Rebecca at [email protected]