Women’s soccer ends without a score

Junior+Addie+Royer+kicks+the+ball+up+the+field+during+Thursday+nights+game+against+Upper+Iowa+University.+The+Warriors+tied+with+Upper+Iowa+0-0.+

Kendahl Schlueter

Junior Addie Royer kicks the ball up the field during Thursday night’s game against Upper Iowa University. The Warriors tied with Upper Iowa 0-0.

Emma Cavanaugh, Sports Editor

Winona State University’s women’s soccer team played against Upper Iowa University at home on Thursday, Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. The two teams ended the game in a scoreless tie, despite the Warriors shooting 21 times.

It was a season-high for the Warriors thus far. Junior Darian Molter made four shots, as did sophomore Courtney Wiencek. Wiencek also made two shots on goal, but was stopped from hitting the back of the net by Upper Iowa.

“The scoreboard does not reflect how we played. We dominated the entire game, but could not find the back of the net,” junior midfielder Abby Bohanski said. “We had quality shots, but they did not fall on Thursday night.”

First-year Melissa Greco made three shots that night, with two shots on goal, but was also unable to score. Finally, first-year Georgette Topalis went for two shots, and had two shots on goal, both missing as well.

“Our defensive line has played tremendously so far, and we are looking to keep it up.  They are keeping the ball out of our defensive end, making it easier for our goalkeeper to stay calm,” Bohanski said. “Our attack has also been looking good so far, and they are creating more and more opportunities to score every game.”

Winona’s difficulty at finding the back of the net was echoed by Upper Iowa’s own troubles. Warrior defense was led by senior goalie Rachel Oleson. Oleson did not let a single shot go by the whole game, finally ending the game scoreless.

Despite missing out on multiple opportunities to score, the team looks ahead to the rest of the season.

“Our goals for this season are to finish in the top three teams in our conference, and to be the dominant team on the field,” Bohanski said. “We want to set the pace of the game and force other teams to play our style of soccer.”

Bohanski added that the team has controlled every game thus far, matching up with the team’s season goals.

“Everyone has been playing very well, and as a team, we are all learning everyone’s roles,” Bohanski said.

The team also played University of Central Missouri on Sunday, Sept. 10, taking a loss of 4-0.

Winona State soccer will play against the University of Minnesota, Crookston, in Crookston, Minn. on Saturday, Sept. 16 at 1 p.m. and then against Bemidji State University in Bemidji, Minn. on Sunday, Sept. 17 at 1 p.m.