Football reaches best record since 1998

Football reaches best record since 1998

Mitchell Breuer, Editor-In-Chief

Winona State University’s football team extended their undefeated streak to six after defeating the University of Sioux Falls 31-13 this past Saturday night.

“I feel like our team did great. Our defense did their job like they always do,” sophomore running back Javian Roebuck said. “I feel like our offense helped our defense out in this game because usually our defense has been carrying us. I think it was a great overall win for the team.”

The game began with the Warriors getting on the board with a 20-yard field goal by senior Carter McCauley. The Warriors extended the lead to 10 heading to halftime, after a 10-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Darren Beenken to junior wide receiver Isaiah Frandsen.

The third quarter was where the offense showed the most strength, as they scored two touchdowns.

The first demonstration of the offense’s strength came in the form of 42-yard run from Roebuck. The second came when Beenken and Frandsen connected again, this time on a 7-yard pass.

With his two touchdowns against Sioux Falls, Frandsen has now scored touchdowns in four out of the six games played this season.

The game was capped for Winona State after Roebuck took a 63-yard run, his longest run of the night, to the end-zone for another touchdown. He ended the game with a season-high 156 rushing yards, and continuing his season long trend of rushing for more yards each week. Roebuck credits his team for his improvement throughout the year.

“The coaches have been really tough on me, emphasizing what holes to hit,” Roebuck said.  “Playing behind those guys, they help me see things and talk to me about roles and assignments. The team is helping me out.”

Not to be forgotten, Winona’s defense continued to carry the momentum they have displayed all season. The defense forced one sack by senior Andrew Spencer, then one forced fumble by Spencer and recovered by senior Mike Imperiale. The defense also forced three interceptions which came from first-year Isaiah Hall, sophomore Cam Gavin and senior Adonis Brown.

“I think as defense we played harder than our opponent and capitalized on our opportunities that we were given throughout the game,” Brown said. “As far as my thoughts on my play is, that I’m a product of a whole, so I’m only as good as how we do as a whole on defense. We all have one goal when we go out there and that’s to win and play hard.”

Despite the season’s record showing the team’s success, Brown is determined to keep his eyes on the ultimate prize. He talked about how important it is for the defense to communicate and take care of their bodies.

“We just can’t let this past weekend’s victory and outside noise ruin that ultimate prize of trying to get to that national championship game,” Brown said. “By no means am I overlooking any opponent but I know where every DII football player wants to be, come December.”

The Warriors are taking to the road once again to play Concordia University, St. Paul on Saturday, Oct. 14th at 6 p.m.