Tennis splits matches in South Dakota

Nicole Girgen

Senior Justine Daane gets ready for the next volley during a doubles match on Saturday, March 17 against Upper Iowa University at the Winona Tennis Center. The Warriors traveled to Sioux Falls this past weekend to face off against the University of Sioux Falls and Augustana University, winning one match 6-3 and losing the other 0-9.

Sydney Mohr, Features Editor

Winona State University tennis took one win and one loss this weekend in their matches against University of Sioux Falls on Saturday, March 24 at 6:30 p.m. and against Augustana University on Sunday, March 25 at 9 a.m.

Coach Heather Reilly was hopeful about the team’s outcome for the season, compared to how the athletes did in the fall.

“The team is having an excellent season. The fall results don’t compare to what we have done this spring, but there’s a lot that goes into that,” Reilly said. “Fall is our chance to get back in shape and to sort out what we are working with in our newcomers. By spring, we are in shape and ready to compete.”

Reilly commented on how both matches were going to be a good challenge, especially against Augustana, since they have proved to be a strong opponent in the past.

The weekend started off strong with the Warriors beating the Cougars 6-3, five wins in singles by sophomore Tayla Card, senior Justine Daane, senior Kelly Hackman, senior Rachel Gantz, sophomore Kendra Kappes and one win in doubles by Kappes and Gantz.

Gantz had a positive outlook going into the weekend.

“The matches this weekend are going to be tough, but our plan is to stay positive and come out with two more wins,” Gantz said.

According to Gantz, the season has had a great start for the Warriors.

“The season so far has been great. Everyone has been working hard and having fun. The fall season was scrimmages and we weren’t practicing every day,” she said. “Now, we have really hit our stride in the season and are working towards accomplishing our team goals we set at the beginning of the year.”

Gantz helped win two matches on Saturday, one in singles and one in doubles with Kappes.

However, the Warriors could not keep up their winning streak and lost 0-9 against the Augustana Vikings on Sunday morning.

Skibba, Gantz, Daane, Kappes, Hackman, and Card all competed again in singles Sunday morning in Sioux Falls, all taking a loss against the competition. The players then took the court for doubles matches, all losing a match apiece.

“It was a rough day for all of the girls,” Reilly said. “They gave their all on the courts, but Augustana is a good team; we just couldn’t keep up. Hopefully we can come back around in our next matches.”

Will the team make it any further this season? Reilly says yes.

“Absolutely,” she said. “These girls have done incredible things so far and it will be exciting to see where they go. Our main goal is to win conference, which we know won’t be easy. The girls believe in themselves and each other, so I think great things will happen.”

The tennis team will compete next at home on Saturday, April 7 at 3:30 p.m. against the University of Mary.