Volleyball gets two victories at home

Natalie Tyler

Teammates watch as sophomore Bre Maloney attempts to block a spike from Augustana University on Friday, Sept. 21 in McCown Gymnasium, the Warriors won with a score of 3-1.

Lauren Lott, Sports Reporter

The Winona State Women’s Volleyball made a comeback last weekend with their first two wins of the season at home against Augustana University and Wayne State College.

The Warriors beat the Vikings, 3-1, bringing their record to 5-9 overall, and, improving their record to 2-4 in conference games.

Sophomore setter Bre Maloney was a standout in Friday’s match against Augustana, giving the team 48 assists and also recording her seventh double-double of the year.

The entire team came together for this win with five players totaling double figures in digs, led by sophomore libero Becca Pagel with 20.

The Warriors were able to hit .195 while managing to keep Augustana at .097.

The Warriors went into Saturday’s home meet against No.18 Wayne State finishing the day with a 3-1 win.

Senior outside hitter, Taylor Goar stood out for the Warriors, having her third straight double-digit kill performance, bringing her to 1,131 career kills which is ranked eighth all-time in the program. She had 29 kills over the weekend to help bring Winona to its first two game winning streak of the season, which the team desperately needed after struggling to start the season.

Maloney also had another good match with a career high in six blocks and assists, getting her eighth double-double of the year. She also led the offense with 47 assists and a season-high 23 digs.

These two wins bring Winona to a record of 6-9, with 3-4 losses in conference play.