Volleyball splits homecoming matches

Natalie Tyler

Sophomore Sarah Suits and first year Cori Meyers celebrate a good set with a high-five on Friday, Oct. 5 against Minnesota State University Moorhead in McCown Gymnasium where the Warriors won 3-1.

Lauren Lott, Sports Reporter

Winona State Women’s Volleyball wins one of two matches over homecoming weekend.

Friday night up against Minnesota State University-Moorhead, the Warriors fought to come out on top with a 3-1 win.

They started off strong with a 25-18 win in the first set, then losing some momentum in the second with a loss of 20-25, to come back again for the last two sets of 25-19 and 25-16.

The Warriors came out of the locker room with some more energy after losing the second set. They recorded a match-best .410 hitting percentage and had 21 kills in the third set.

Seniors Taylor Goar and Maria Wrage floored five kills each as the Warriors took the 2-1 lead in the match.

Wrage went on to have four more kills in the fourth set as she recorded a season-best 10 kills in the match. This marks the first time this year that Wrage has recorded double digits in kills as she has come back from a preseason injury.

Goar never left the floor in all four matches, playing strong with 13 kills and her sixth double-double with 16 digs.

The Warriors had an overall hitting percentage of .229 compared to the Dragons’ .150.

The two teams seemed very equally matched in this game, there wasn’t one point earned that looked easy. This made for a very exciting game, the energy in the gym was electric. The entire crowd stood to watch the Warriors earn their last point and the victory.

This win marked five straight wins and six of their last seven heading into their Saturday match against No.2 Northern State University, putting them at a record of 9-9 (6-4 in conference) and in a three-way tie for sixth place in the NSIC conference with playoffs coming next month.

The Warriors went into this match hoping to continue their record of a third-consecutive victory against a nationally ranked opponent, as well as their five-match winning streak.

The Warriors entered into a grueling five set match and in the end, did not come out on top against the Northern State University Wolves with set scores of 25-21, 16-25, 22-25, 25-22 and 8-15.

The Warriors started off strong in the first set with a hitting percentage of .438 and 22 kills. Northern State had kept all of its opponents to a .149 this season, making them one of the best defensive teams in the conference, but Winona pushed back finishing with a .266.

Northern State took the next two sets while their offense picked up steam and had a .415 hitting percentage, putting them in a 2-1 match advantage.

The Warriors came back to push it to a five set match, but ultimately were not able to get the victory.

Goar recorded her seventh straight double-double with 24 digs (a team high) and 15 kills. She is now tied in fifth place of all time for kills (1,185), as well as being in the 10th place spot for aces (116).

They are now at a record of 9-10, 6-5 in conference play.

The Warriors hope to get back on a win streak as they hit the road this week for three matches against Upper Iowa, University of Minnesota Duluth and St. Cloud State.