Volleyball rebounds after home loss

Nicole Girgen

Junior Megan Flom spikes the ball toward players from Augustana University during the homecoming game on Saturday, October 12 in McCown Gymnasium.

Jenna Statz, Sports Reporter

Ranked 19th, the Winona State University’s womens’ volleyball team splits at home over homecoming weekend.

Friday, Oct. 11, Winona State endured their first home loss of the season against Wayne State College, and had their four-game win streak broken in four sets.

The Wildcats defeated the Warriors by scores of 25-18, 19-25, 25-16 and 25-16. It was a messy game where the Warriors recorded a season-high of 30 hitting errors.

However, on Saturday, Oct. 12 it was a different story for the team when they outlasted Augustana University in five sets.

Winona State overpowered Augustana by scores of 21-25, 25-22, 25-16, 19-25 and 15-9.

Nicole Girgen
Left to right: Bre Maloney, Megan Flom and Paige Christopher get ready to block a hit during the game against Augustana University on Saturday, October 12.

After this weekend the Warrior team has matched last year’s record of 13 overall wins, improving to 13-3 overall and 5-3 in the NSIC.

Leading the way for the Warriors this weekend was junior Megan Flom and sophomore Paige Christopher with 43 and 19 kills respectively over both games.

Junior Bre Maloney was on her game, assisting her teammates 102 times over both matches.

Defensively for the Warriors, it was sophomore Madison Rizner who shut things down with seven blocks, and junior Becca Pagel was all over the court with 44 digs.

After spending their weekend at home, the Warriors will be back on the road this weekend taking on Northern State University  and Minnesota State University Moorhead.

Looking forward the Warriors will take the court again Friday, Oct. 18 at 6 p.m against the Wolves., and then travel to Moorhead for a date against the Dragons on Saturday, Oct. 19 starting at 4 p.m.

Northern State and Winona State have gone back anf fourth in their previous four matchups, with each winning two.

Winona has a much more favorable matchup against Moorhead, who they have beaten in each of their last six meetings.

**Editor’s note: The Winona State University volleyball picked up another win Tuesday night after this article was written. The win is arguably the team’s biggest as they defeated No. 5 Concordia University, St. Paul in four sets.