Volleyball takes down Mankato

Natalie Tyler

Left to right: Cori Meyers, Bre Maloney, Madison Rizner and Kate Masberg move to return the ball against Minnesota State University, Mankato on Saturday, Nov. 2 where the Warriors came out victorious scoring 3-1. The win brings the team’s season record to 18 wins and five losses.

Jenna Statz, Sports Reporter

No. 16 Winona State University took down Minnesota State University, Mankato in four sets on Saturday afternoon at home.

The Warriors won by set scores of 25-20, 25-22, 26-28 and 25-15.

Winona State bounced back after being swept at No. 22 Upper Iowa on Thursday, improving 18-5 overall and 10-5 in the NSIC.

Winona State was in complete control of set one of their game Saturday.

Sophomore Paige Christopher had two kills in the opening set that saw offensive contributions through the lineup.

The Warriors were also sharp defensively, totaling four blocks and 13 digs.

The next two sets were much more competitive, as the Warriors and Mavericks were tied 10 times in game two.

Winona State pulled ahead thanks to a three-point run that Christopher and sophomore Madison Rizner teamed up for a big block.

Christopher grabbed the game-winning point as Winona State took a commanding 2-0 lead.

Game three was an exciting set, with nine lead changes. The difference though was at the net where Mankato registered four blocks and Winona State failed to record any.

Following the game three setback, the Warriors turned up the competition and dominated the final game.

Leading the way for the Warriors this weekend was Christopher and junior Megan Flom who both achieved double digits in kills with 20 and 12 kills respectively over both games.

Junior Bre Maloney helped by successfully assisting her teammates 50 times over both matches.

On the defensive side of things this weekend for the Warriors, sophomore Madison Rizner totaled eight blocks, and junior Becca Pagel helped her teammates out recording 19 digs.

Looking forward, the team will be back on the road Friday Nov. 8 as they travel to Bemidji State University at 6 p.m.