Women’s basketball dominate Crookston, Bemidji

Winona+State+sophomore%2C+Allie+Pickrain+makes+a+single+shot+at+the+home+game+on+Saturday%2C+Nov.+16+against+Bemidji+State.+The+Warriors+emerged+victorious+scoring+76-67.+

Natalie Tyler

Winona State sophomore, Allie Pickrain makes a single shot at the home game on Saturday, Nov. 16 against Bemidji State. The Warriors emerged victorious scoring 76-67.

Maurice Hudson, Basketball Reporter

Winona State University’s women’s basketball team went undefeated during the home game stretch over Minnesota Crookston and Bemidji State.

The Warriors completed their first weekend sweep since Dec. 6 and 7 against Augustana and Wayne State.

In the first game of the weekend against Minn.-Crookston, the Warriors extended their lead by double-digits by halftime. The Warriors extended the lead by collecting a 20-point win.

Junior guard Allie Pickrain put up 21 points with five field goals from downtown while sophomore guard Jenna Bruss put up 11 points while going flawless from three.

The Warriors used eight players to outscore the Golden Eagles in the third quarter (24-20), making the game 60 to 45.

Following, first-year center Ava Sergio confirmed layup coming off a junior guard Emily Kieck assist launched the Warriors to their largest lead of the game at 17.

In the fourth quarter, the Warriors started to utilize the shot clock as they tried to maintain the lead. Crookston came as close as 14 with four minutes left in the game, but three straight field goals from downtown by Pickrain and Bruss squashed Crookston’s chances at a comeback.

The Warriors held Crookston to just 5-24 from beyond the arc while shooting 10-24 themselves.

In the second game of the weekend, the Warriors kept the energy the same, beating Bemidji State 76-67.

Pickrain dropped a season-high 27 points and junior guard Taylor Hustad put up 23 points, combining for 50 of the Warriors 76.

In the first quarter, Pickrain scored 11 of her points on 3-5 shooting from behind the arc.

The Warriors offense then exploded in the second quarter, outscoring Bemidji State University, 28-16, to take a dominating 43-26 lead going into the half.

The Beavers worked on a come back in the third quarter, outscoring the Warriors by 10 and holding Winona State to 33% shooting.

A fast break three-pointer by sophomore forward Sydney Lodermeier gave the Warriors a 17-point lead three minutes into the quarter, before an 8-0 run by Bemidji State cut the lead to single digits.

The comeback was not enough as the Warriors bested the Beavers by nine points.

Kieck finished with a game-high eight assists and recording 17 assists while committing zero turnovers between the two games.

Winona State improves to 12-4 (8-4 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference [NSIC]) and they will resume NSIC South competition next weekend as they travel to Southwest Minnesota State University and University of Sioux Falls.