Second City Theatre Troupe Show – Coming soon to WSU!

Larissa Lopez
Advertisement for Comedy Troupe, at the doors of Harriet Johnson Auditorium

As much as students are at Winona State University to get a degree, socializing and making friends is a huge part of the college experience. On campus events are a perfect way to form bonds with peers who may have common interests. There’s also a club for everything at Winona State, even a potato club. The Warrior Entertainment Network is a student-run organization that puts on events such as the upcoming Second City Theatre Troupe show.

The Second City show will take place in the Harriet Johnson Auditorium in Somsen Hall on September 23rd at 7:30 p.m. Seats are available on the main floor and on the balcony, with the advanced sale price being $15 for balcony seats ($8 for WSU students) and $18 for floor seats ($8 for WSU students).

The “Main Stage” director for the Warrior Entertainment Network, Marley Wilkins, told students what to look forward to with the upcoming event.

“Students should expect to see comedy portrayed as an improv sketch in a fun, immersive environment,” Wilkins said. “We believe it is important to host events like this because it brings a variety of fun activities to campus. Second City, specifically, is a way to bring a different version of comedy into our school instead of just hiring stand-up comedians every time.”

The Second City show will take place during Winona State’s annual family weekend. The Network’s advisor, George Micalone, spoke on how they adjust to the guests they could have in attendance.

“It’s family weekend, so we’re trying to appeal to families,” Micalone said. “If the audience isn’t engaging with the bit because they might be younger or older than anticipated, Second City is good at adapting on the fly. So, we do believe that this will appeal to a wider range of ages which we will certainly get at this show.”

There are also many other family friendly events taking place throughout the weekend. On Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, families can enjoy a cruise on Winona State’s Cal Fremling. There’s bingo on Friday, as well as the Warrior Gameday Experience on Saturday.

If students are interested in getting involved with the Warrior Entertainment Network, all are welcome.

“Any and all WSU students can get involved in the network by coming to our meetings which take place every Thursday at 5pm in the Kryzsko Solarium,” Wilkins said. “Applications for board positions will also be opening in October for those interested in leadership opportunities.”

Micalone highlighted the importance of the Warrior Entertainment Network’s role on campus.

“I think these types of events help students find opportunities to engage outside the classroom. We can attend with friends, make new friends, and I think it’s important because comedy’s a good opportunity to kind of get some stress relief and have fun outside of class.”