Half of Winona Mall Staying

Karalyn Kolstad
Winona Mall entrance.

While the northwest part of the mall was sold to Hiawatha Valley Education District (HVED), a special education collaboration comprised of schools in Southeast Minnesota, the southeastern part of the mall near Vila Street will be staying. The news comes after the purchase agreement between HVED and the mall’s previous owner, John Alexander, went through and thus some businesses entered a limbo, unsure of when they would have to leave.

That’s not the case for the businesses on the southeastern side of the mall though. Stacy Hermann owns Second Chances Properties LLC and bought the southeastern part of the mall a little over a year ago. Across the street from Gunderson Health, Hermann owns the spaces where Spectrum, Kidsport, and Mattresses & More sit, and owns Iron Bluff Fitness and Vintage Glam & Gifts herself. Winona County’s Department of Motor Vehicles is set to move to a spot that Hermann owns, and there will be an additional spot open for future businesses next to Spectrum, Hermann says.

“We’re excited because the school is going to invest in their property. And not only will it look nice, but it’ll be also appealing to people to come to the other side,” Hermann said. “We’re hoping for the staff from the school, and the parents and things like that to help actually increase our business in our locations.”

When asked about whether people in a smaller town such as Winona are going online shopping or staying with in person, Hermann describes that people are eager to be out and about.

“I feel like people since covid, really, really want to get out. And so, they want to not only [shop with] the local businesses so that we can stay but they love to be able to touch, feel, look at what they’re getting, instead of getting something online and then sending it back because they’re disappointed,” Hermann said.

This comes as the Statista Research Department shows that over 80% of the United States population shops online. The Winona Post reports that the goal for the new HVED building is to open for the beginning of the 2025-26 school year. This changes from HVED’s initial goal of opening for the beginning of the 2024-25 school year. The Winona Post further reports that HVEDs Executive Director, Debra Marcotte, said there were delays while the city and state confirmed the property as a fitting location.

“So, while part of the mall will be closed and businesses will have to find new places, several businesses will remain open. I just want to make sure that it’s super clear that this side is staying and going to service Winona,” Hermann said.

Hermann continues to explain that it takes residents of Winona as well to come together for a new beginning.

“We’re looking for the support of Winona in the community as well, and that we’re just going to work alongside the school. I think it’s going to be the best of both worlds,” Hermann said.