Letter to the editor

Letter to the editor

Scott Olson

Dear Students:
Our Student Senate president, Clara Kuerschner, graciously shared her Winonan letter with me so that I could write a response. I am happy to report I agree with her assessment of the semester so far. Time moves differently under COVID-19, and many of the normal ways we mark the passage of time on a college campus are unavailable. As we approach midterms, some aspects of the semester seem to have flown by, and others seem to be moving slowly. These are strange times – literally!
When the semester began, my hope was that we would find a way to get through the semester with as much normalcy as possible. That hope relied on students and employees doing what we asked of them – mask up, back up, wash up, check up and so on. After a frightening spike after Labor Day, and a temporary quarantine, students stepped up and did what was necessary to keep us open. So now, my hope is renewed, and I am confident that we might together keep each other safe, and thereby be able to stay together.
Please let me underline President Kuerschner’s suggestions about staying engaged. You will be happier and do better academically if you safely take advantage of Winona State’s many clubs and organizations and Winona’s natural beauty. Please just be sure to wear your mask, keep a distance, wash your hands and so on.
I am very proud to be your president, Warriors! Please keep up the good work, and let’s keep campus as safe and open as we can.

Scott R. Olson, President