Letter to the editor: Senate President acknowledges counseling

Benjamin Ellgen, Winona State Student Senate President

Winona State University students may once again schedule appointments with Counseling Services for confidential, short-term care. Two new counselor positions have been recently filled to address the significant waiting periods that students faced in previous semesters. If you are interested in meeting with a counselor to discuss mental health or personal concerns, you may schedule an appointment by calling 507-457-5330 or emailing [email protected].

Student Senate approved a motion in support of hiring counselors to meet the need of students on October 23rd, 2019. This motion highlighted the importance of mental health care and the lack thereof in the fall semester of this school year. The Senate body called upon the university to hire at least one additional counselor by the beginning of this semester to meet the needs of students.

Student Senate has also heard the concerns being expressed over the new six session limit per semester for student counseling appointments. We reaffirm our commitment to work alongside Counseling Services and university administration to further improve access to campus and community mental health resources. Reopening appointments and lowering waiting periods are important first steps, but more work is necessary to improve the health and well-being of our shared community.

Counseling & Wellness Services may be reached at 507-457-5330 or in Integrated Wellness Complex 222.

Benjamin Ellgen

President of Winona State Student Senate

The opinions expressed in this paper are not necessarily those of Winona State University, the Minnesota State Colleges and University system, or the Winona State University student body.