Dune Part Two Movie Review

Larissa Lopez
Dune part one is available for streaming, and Dune part two is available in movie theaters all around the world.

“Dune” the 1965 science fiction novel by author Frank Herbert has been a big hit among readers of the genre, allowing it to be adapted into film for the 1984 film directed by the iconic David Lynch. Many years later, the saga got picked up by another talented director: Denis Villeneuve. He was able to bring a very different perspective of the franchise compared to Lynch’s, as well as a deeper dive into it as Denis has been approved for the making of 3 films covering the whole story of the books,

The first Dune film released in 2021 was a nice refreshing start in this new world but was popularly criticized by part of the audience for being boring or not much happening on screen, receiving an overall positive response but nothing compared to this new part of the story. Dune pt. 2 improved everything the first film did, resulting in being one of the best sci-fi films of all time, as well as feeling like a cult-classic in the making.

The cinematography and editing of the film shines through the gigantic mountains of sands, riding of sand worms and battles of thousands of Fremen, the main group of people the movie is centered on which are known for being ruthless warriors with an amazing sense of survival, being the only group able to survive in the desert of Arrakis. Watching this film in movie theatres really allows for the sound to immerse the audience in its full capacity, with a perfect timing for silent scenes to increase tension or increasing loud noises for the more violent or adrenaline-filled moments.

One of the more talked about aspects of the film and which largely compliments the world building is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer is able to deliver a soundtrack like no other, making the ambiance for such an specific history and environment one to be remembered. Even before watching the film, the soundtrack is so characteristic and distant from any other soundtrack that it results in Dune using the music in its favor and makes what could be considered boring scenes by some, some of the most exciting of the saga.

All the actors and actresses show an amazing work and understanding of their characters (apart from Christopher Walker). I will highlight specifically Timothée Chalamet and Austin Butler for being the protagonist and one of the main villains of the movie respectively. They have a very important scene between the both of them around the end of the movie, which is personally one of my favorites just because of the clean fighting and climax surrounding the whole history up that point, as well as Timothée delivering such intimidating and powerful scenes, making the audience almost fearful of his power as Paul Atreides.

Finally, even though this is the second film of a trilogy, it is such a complete history from start to finish. It does not feel incomplete or as if parts got cut off, and it delivers what I was expecting from the first movie, a story surrounding survival, politics, betrayal, and religion, accompanied by huge fighting scenes and unbelievable storytelling with world-building unlike anything else. If the third film continues to evolve and improve like the second one did, we are standing behind one of the best trilogies in film history.

Dune pt. 1 is available for streaming on Max and Hulu for anyone wanting to catch up before watching Dune pt.2, which is available in movie theaters all around the world.