Alumni encourage WSU’s first-generation students

Julia Sand/Winonan

First-generation Winona State University students were invited to a panel of six former first generation college graduates, where the panelists answered questions and shared their stories.

Being new to college can present challenges, but to keep their motivation, these students agreed they had bigger plans and dreams than they left behind.

“I needed to find myself getting a secondary education in order to place myself where I want and like,” said panelist Nakayla Majesky, from Fastenal.

The audience, made up of mostly freshmen, sent questions to those in the panel prior to the event.

The panel consisted of Winona State faculty and staff as well as alumni.

Connie Gores, vice president for student life and development, joined the dean of Liberal Arts, Ralph Townsend; Xavier Wilson, the assistant director of housing and residence life; Barbara Oertel of the Warrior Success Center; Meg Krinke, Human Resources at Mississippi Welder’s Supply Company; and Majesky.

Gores opened the presentation.

“Thank you for being in higher education. I really applaud you for being here,” she said.

Gores, who grew up in a small town near the Canadian Border, said her father died when she was young, and her mother never graduated from college.

All of the panelists had similar stories; some parents never graduated high school, while others did but never went on to higher education.

While their stories were similar in that aspect, they differed, too.

Charlie Opatz, coordinator of the event, asked a question from the audience.

“How, when, and why did you decide to go to college?” he said.

Krinke started by saying, “I remember it being something that was engraved in me.”

Townsend agreed, saying when he grew up, college was the expectation.

On the other hand, similar to what many students may face nowadays, Oertel said her parents didn’t fully support her decision to go to college.

“They just didn’t see that it was necessary, and even though they always knew it was my goal to be a teacher, they thought I would get over it,” Oertel said.

In addition to conflicting views with parents, money always was a major part in the decision to go to college.

Wilson said he had a hard time figuring out what to do because of his parent’s financial situation.

Majesky also fought through the stresses of money, saying a challenge she faced was balancing work and school.

“It was not only expected, but needed to be done,” said Majesky.

Amidst the complications and stresses of finances, these panelists all found ways to overcome that obstacle.

Wilson applied for a national scholarship, which almost amounted to a full ride, and won.

Oertel, who always wanted to become a high school teacher but wasn’t aware of what going to college meant financially, said she had to find a school that made it financially possible.

“I was really lucky to find a school like Winona that was close enough to home that my parents were comfortable with and that, importantly, it was financially affordable,” said Oertel.

Nicole Moravec, first generation freshman this year, said the panel was helpful.

“It was nice to get a perspective from people who have already been though everything,” Moravec said.

Sixty-three students attended the panel, held on Nov. 8.

Contact Julia at [email protected]