Professorial Projects: Education

Danielle Stone/Winonan

Richard Bowman, professor emeritus of the education department at Winona State University, recently had his article, “Understanding What it Means to Be a Professional,” published in “The Clearing House” journal.

Bowman, who left Winona State about five years ago, currently resides in Fargo, North Dakota. His original interest in the study of what professionalism is began when he started noticing a lack of civility in today’s society.

He traced the ideals of civility back in history, including looking at a list of 110 “Rules of Civility” written by George Washington and values practiced by Jesuit priests in the 1595. Bowman came to the conclusion that professionalism is the “committing to the expression of values.”

In his article, Bowman highlighted the importance of civility in being a professional. “Professionalism is less a matter of what professionals do and more a matter of who they are as human beings,” Bowman said.

“Professionals think and communicate in the language of those ideals which matter deeply to human beings: integrity, truth, transparency, fairness, justice, humility and service to others.”

In his paper, Bowman stated that professionalism is a lifestyle choice, one that can be inspired. “The most powerful form of human influence is inspiration. Inspired professional behavior is internal, intrinsic and sustainable.”

After interviewing teachers, Bowman was surprised to find that many had the goal of teaching and inspiring professionalism but lacked a description of what professionalism is. Bowman said, “It strikes me that a professional is both the vehicle and the creator for that which seeks to be born: something greater than oneself. That something is significance.”

Professionalism has strong ties to student-teacher relationships. A professor can teach a student that he or she is important, thereby increasing the student’s feelings of self-worth and cultivating professional attitudes in the student.

“The ultimate challenge for educators as professionals is to inspire in one’s students and colleagues the sustainable values which will guide their pursuit of significance,” Bowman stated in his article.

Bowman said professionalism is at the core of what educators seek to do. “Professionalism is about something holistic and authentic, something that fills the interpersonal synapses between one colleague and another, between one organization and another, and between every organization and its diverse stakeholders,” he said.

Copies of Bowman’s article, “Understanding What it Means to be a Professional,” are available from Sandra Hunter, administrative assistant in the education office, located in Gildemeister 152.

Contact Danielle at [email protected]