Busting myths about the Job & Internship Fair, 2013

Hannah Jones/Winonan

With today’s recovering economy, the nation’s job market can seem about as open and inviting as a walnut.

Luckily, interested students can get ahead in the job hunt; next month, on Tuesday, Feb. 19, the Minneapolis Convention Center is hosting the annual Job & Internship Fair. The fair provides an excellent opportunity for students to meet face to face with potential employers, distribute their resumes and contact cards and even interview for jobs on site, and it is open to juniors, seniors and registered alumni of all majors.

Rather than fish around blindly online for hiring employers, the Job & Internship Fair puts them all on display and makes it easy to browse a variety of career options fairly quickly. Furthermore, transportation to the fair is free, while seats last.

So, the question is, if this fair is so great, why don’t more students do it?

DeAnna Goddard, associate director for career services, dispelled a few prevalent myths that may prevent a few otherwise interested students from taking advantage of the Fair and the opportunities it provides.

Myth 1: The Job & Internship Fair has the same employers every year.

Fact: Last year, the Fair hosted 25 new companies, and this year, the total number of pre-registered companies has risen from 125 to 140—and that number is still climbing. Participating students this year will enjoy a larger array of potential employers, many of which will be new faces, and some of which will be returning standbys.

“It’s important for students to remember that some employers have varying recruiting schedules,” Goddard said. Some businesses only come to the fair every other year to scope out new hires, and students who assume they’ve seen the lot the previous year may miss out on chances to shake new hands.

Myth 2: They’ve only got companies for business majors there.

Fact: The companies showing up have represented majors and disciplines all across the board, and perennially, there has been something for everyone: banks, accounting firms, hospitals, third-party science recruiters, marketing agencies, government agencies, representatives from the military and nonprofits. No matter the major or the career path, students can find great contacts and fecund ground for job-hunting. The only major that may have a little trouble prospecting for future employers is education, which has its own fair coming up in April of this year.

Myth 3: All I’m going to get for my trouble is a few brochures and some sore feet.

Fact: There will be employers at the fair conducting interviews and making hires on site. Students can post their resumes online in advance and schedule appointments with potential employers before the event, or at the event itself. There will also be a professional photo booth there for attendees to use. Students, who will already be dressed in business attire, can simply have photos sent to them for use on contact cards, professional profiles like Linkedin and electronic portfolios. Lastly, but most importantly, the Job & Internship Fair gives students what is arguably the best tool for finding a job in a tough economy.

“The fair gives [students] a chance to practice networking,” said Goddard. Goddard placed heavy emphasis on the importance of developing a professional network, which is essential to making personal and business connections in one’s professional life. It’s true what they say: whom you know is important. Sometimes, what finding that post-graduate job all comes down to is having a number to call or a relationship to rekindle. Goddard even mentioned that some student attendees have found jobs unexpectedly while taking a moment to step outside for fresh air and, by chance, striking up a conversation with their future employers.

…However, it is true about the sore feet. Goddard recommends low-heeled shoes for the vent.

Registration for the fair can be done entirely online through the career services website: www.winona.edu/career. Interested students will be asked first to watch a short video on how to prepare for and network at the fair and answer a few questions on it. After completion of the questions, students will be directed to an online registration page. The deadline for preregistration is Feb. 19. Those who register before Feb. 1 will pay only a $20 entry fee. After Feb. 1, the fee rises to $25, and at the door on the same day, $30. While supplies last, those who go for early registration will also receive a free padfolio.

The job market is tough, but preparing early makes it that much easier to find a career and start making connections. According to Goddard, any student who wants help registering for the fair or needs help with anything from resume building to choosing the right outfit for the event can come to the Career Center to get answers.

For a full list of the employers going to the fair, go to http://www.mnsujobfair.org.

Contact Hannah at [email protected]