Gender-neutral bathroom in progress

The new bathroom will be located between the men’s and women’s bathrooms near the Smaug in the lower level of Kryzsko Commons.   Matthew Seckora
The new bathroom will be located between the men’s and women’s bathrooms near the Smaug in the lower level of Kryzsko Commons.
Matthew Seckora

Julia Sand/Winonan

As a result of student efforts, a gender-neutral bathroom is being built in the lower level of Kryzsko Commons.

Joe Reed, director of the Student Union, explained the gender-neutral bathroom, being built on the south side of the lower hyphen by Freshens, will serve multiple purposes, including timely updates, efficiency and student needs.

The Kryzsko Commons building, built in 1965, is now 48 years old. Made up of four “phases,” the building has been renovated several times over the years. Reed said this is just another stop along the way.

“It’s just the natural progression of updating this building—getting with the times,” Reed said.

Reed said the idea of a gender-neutral bathroom was brought to him a few years ago, but the main concern was location. When students resurfaced the idea this fall, investigation began more thoroughly.

The facility closet between the two already-existing bathrooms was installed with a sink—something not all closets have—making the bathroom possible in a convenient location.

“Because of where plumbing was, it worked out. I got lucky there,” Reed said.

In addition to being part of updates, Reed also explains it is more efficient in that “everyone can use that bathroom” in a “more bang for the buck” kind of way.

Alexandra Griffin, Student Senate president, said this bathroom is a step in the right direction.

It will serve a great purpose, not just for transgendered students, Griffin said, but also for families and students who want more privacy.

However, this solution may have been a smaller step than some students were hoping for.

Kaylee Jakubowski, who came out as a transgendered woman, said going through visual transition was difficult, marked with discrimination and being called out for using the “wrong restroom.”

Jakubowski talked to fellow students and found this issue was widespread. “Everyone is afraid to go to the bathroom,” Jakubowski said.

Jakubowski led a presentation for Student Senate asking for a multi-stall gender-neutral restroom.

What resulted was the plan to make a single-stall, locked bathroom out of the janitor’s closet.

However, Jakubowski said a locked bathroom could potentially lead to violent depression, something the transgendered population worries about.

“It is positive. It is a step forward. It is just not as progressive as we hoped,” Jakubowski said.

Jakubowski said she and President Olson plan to meet at the end of each semester to discuss progress and what can still be done.

Jakubowski said they will continue to fight toward more diversity-geared spaces. Her goal before graduation is to install one gender-neutral bathroom in every building.

Additionally, Jakubowski would like to move toward a GLBTA center on campus.

The new Kryzsko bathroom is to be completed in March of this year.

Contact Julia at [email protected]