‘21 and Over’ film review

Lily Kane/Winonan

“21 and Over” is the movie for any college student.

It deals with many universal college issues but most importantly the struggle of finding oneself. But this movie isn’t a sappy coming of age story, it’s filled to the brim with offensive, gross and hilarious humor that kept the audience laughing non-stop for the first 20 minutes of the movie and every minute after that.

The movie mostly centers on Miller (Miles Teller) and Casey (Skylar Astin, from “Pitch Perfect”) trying to get the friend that they are visiting Jeff Change (Justin Chon) home.

The issues with getting home are that they are on a huge campus, aren’t sure where on campus they are and their friend is inebriated – not to mention, he has the interview for the rest of his life at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning.  Just like in any comedy, getting to their goal was rather bumpy.

The major internal conflict of the movie is one that’s been heard of before – high school friends visiting each other while in college and realizing how much has changed.

Every college has to deal with the fact that they are not the person they were in high school, yet they are still trying to stay connected with old friends. The love interest in the movie, Nicole (Sarah Wright), puts it, “your oldest friends always are your strangest ones.”

Teller and Astin play the roles of two great friends that are realizing how different they’ve become perfectly. Teller plays the dropout and Astin the man with a spring break internship and summer job lined up two months in advance.

Most students can relate to these friend dynamics and the constant debate over which choice is best. One great thing about this movie is that neither friend is right; both have something to learn.

Chon also plays his role perfectly. Then again, for the majority of the movie he’s just getting dragged around. But, maybe acting like dead weight can be hard?

The snafus the boys encounter along the way could so easily have been generic comedy situations, but, luckily for this movie, they had Jon Lucas and Scott Moore directing. These two have directed movies like “The Hangover”. To expect anything less in a movie like “21 and Over” would be impossible.

Contact Lily at [email protected]