International students share culture with kid

International students take a lunch break with elementary school students during the expo. Sarah Pickar/Winonan
International students take a lunch break with elementary school students during the expo.
Sarah Pickar/Winonan

Abby Peschges/Winonan

Winona State University International Students went to Washington-Kosciusko Elementary School to teach students about their cultures in the Global Awareness Expo.

Each classroom was assigned a country, and Winona State students, wearing traditional dress, represented those countries.

The elementary schoolers spent 30 minutes at each “country” and learned aspects of each country including, geography, culture, and language. Each student was issued a paper passport, and they received stickers for each country they visited.

Winona State Junior, Rachel Wang, represented her home nation, China. Wang has attended Winona State for three years and is studying accounting. She said, “I’m glad to show them my culture in a kids’ way.”

Wang and her group taught students about The Great Wall of China, which elicited a “sweet” from one of the kids, the difference between the Japanese Karate and the Chinese Kong Fu and how to sing Happy Birthday in Mandarin Chinese.

At the end, students answered questions based on information presented to them throughout the session and received a piece of paper with their name in Chinese.

Activity Coordinator, Joseph Reed, said that the Expo was previously held at elementary schools, and was moved to the Winona State Campus. This is the first year that it is back in the elementary schools. “There is teaching in being taught,” Reed said.

Wang has participated in the Global Awareness Expo twice. She said, “I love their questions. They are so cute.” The Global Awareness Expo is a fundraiser for the International Programs to help host events throughout the year.

The goal is to get the kids exposed. “Other people are people too,” Reed said. The teachers are really enthusiastic and the kids just want to play. “It makes it all worth it,” he said.

Contact Abby at [email protected]