Maybe not just another resume builder

Okasana Carlier/Winonan

I often join clubs and activities on the pretense of it being a great resume builder. I mean, who can resist?

Resume builders get people into college. Resume builders get students into bigger and better resume builders. Resume builders can get students jobs.

Of course people join various clubs and organizations that advertise themselves as resume builders. Many young adults want to go to college, get into advanced resume builders and get that job. It makes sense.

As Marcie said, “Distinguishing service as selfishness..” is one of the ways resume builders advertise for their cause. I do not deny that advertising concept, as it is very true.

But let’s step back and take a look at our friends, our classmates. Let us look at ourselves from a different angle. Now, pinpoint all the people who you know are selfish sometimes. Quite a few?

For me, I don’t know anyone who is completely selfless, exempting Jesus. Most of the people I know are selfish sometimes.

Thus, if resume builders appeal to our selfish nature, then of course they are going to get more new recruits.

But, what many people do not know is that resume builders only start out as an appeal to our selfish nature. Only in the beginning do we look at them as simply another part of our daily to-do list. Later, they often become something more.

Resume builders help students learn about the world. Resume builders allow students to try new things out. Resume builders are all over. Resume builders create many fun memories.

Yes, they are there to help get a job after college, to help make money but who can forget about the college loans that so many students struggle with? How can we not want to ‘beef up’ our resumes when they are so helpful to our future?

Marcie also mentioned that resume builders are a way for us to look good and get people to like us. I would argue, rather, that resume builders help us feel a little less estranged in the world. They are a way to connect with someone who has at least one similar interest. Resume builders give us a way to find where we do or do not belong.

Resume builders are so much more than words on a resume. They become a part of us, shaping how we think and act. They might help us make a career switch if we get practical experience in some area.

We might even have fun with a resume builder.

Yes, there are resume builders out there that do not have any good effects on us as people. Those are the one’s that we want to watch out for, and I agree with Marcie on the account that finding a balance is smart when looking at resume builders.

They are not all good. They are not all easy, either.

But the crappy one’s are the ones we quit, the exception to the rule.

There are so many benefits of a resume builder, and I know from personal experience that what starts out as a resume builder rarely ends up as one.

Thanks for reading; this was a fun article to write. It is also a great resume builder. Excuse me while I go update my resume and dream about my future with a great job.

Contact Okasana at [email protected]