Healthy Monday – Prevention FILM Series

Molly O’Connor/Winonan

Last week, Healthy Monday provided useful and important information on the prevention of contracting STIs.

The group that had gathered watched a selection of videos that explained the importance of prevention and getting tested to become aware of STIs.

The session, held on April 8 in the WELL on the first floor of the Integrated Wellness Complex, featured a selection of clips from videos discussing the importance of using protection during sexual intercourse.

Health advocates explained the issues and engaged students in discussions of why people feel that they shouldn’t get tested and the risks that men and women take without regular testing.

“Chlamydia is the most common of the STIs. At Winona State, one in four students have or have had it,” student health advocate Whitney informed the group.

Student health advocates Whitney and Allie began the film exposition with a brief introduction and overall explanation of what to expect in the session and what the first film would show the group.

The first video that was viewed came from a student-made film two years ago, documenting students at WSU discussing protection from STIs.

The clip showed a variety of students explaining the measures they take to avoid contracting STIs and the importance of getting tested.

When asked about their opinions of the video’s content, several students spoke up to voice their thoughts.

One student believed that the male’s interpretation of who should provide birth control seemed “unrealistic”, as she felt that males typically put more pressure on females to provide it.

Another student explained that he believed it was important that both partners should be responsible instead of putting it all on one person to provide birth control.

Allie further questioned the group on why they thought people don’t use protection or opt to get tested for infections.

“I don’t think people plan on being in that situation,” sophomore Jodi Linberg said. “If you believe that you’re immune or have a lower risk of contracting an STI, then you’re less likely to get tested or care about the risk as a whole.”
Allie then asked how people could be made aware of prevention and any of the available resources.

The consensus of the group was that partners should discuss the matter thoroughly and feel free to utilize the free and accessible clinics for testing.

The clinics and resources that were covered in the discussion were the IWC’s clinic services and the Semcac Clinic, along with the Minnesota Family Planning & Hotline. The next video clips were provided by Semcac Clinic.

The clips explained basic procedures that are used for testing and why it’s important to get tested, no matter where someone has to go for it. The health advocates explained in depth the clinics that are available for free testing and how students should always feel free to take advantage of the services they provide.

“There may not be any signs or symptoms, but you can still transmit,” Allie stated. “It takes 30 days for an STD to show up on a test.”

Whitney and Allie concluded the meeting by strongly advising that students make use of the clinics’ services and that students are made aware of their options.

They encouraged healthy discussions on the matter of birth control and testing between partners, and they urged students to spread the word on STIs and the preventative measures that can be taken to avoid dangerous infections.

Contact Molly at [email protected]