Medical amnesty granted in Minnesota

Molly O’Keefe/Winonan

The state of Minnesota is now granting limited immunity to minors who are seeking assistance in a medical emergency. The new medical amnesty legislation went into effect on Aug. 1, 2013.

This law will provide immunity to minors who are in possession of or have consumed alcohol when they are seeking assistance for themselves or another person.

Many minors are hesitant to call for help in alcohol related situations because they are afraid of getting in trouble. The

Medical Amnesty law aims to decrease the number of tragedies linked to alcohol by lessening this fear.

Alex Kromminga, director of student conduct & citizenship, said, “Students have the opportunity not to face prosecution for underage drinking if they are helping or providing medical help to someone that is in trouble.”

However, this law does have some stipulations. The law states that to receive immunity the individual must be the one to initiate contact with the authorities, and they must stay until help arrives and cooperate with the police.

Immunity will only be given to the person who contacted emergency services and the person who is receiving the help. It does not cover entire parties or households.  Minors may also be charged with other related violations depending on the situation.

“The most important thing is that it protects the health and safety of students and their fellow classmates,” Kromminga said.

This law has caused much debate in the community about the type of effect it will have. While some worry that it will encourage underage drinking, others argue that preventing further injuries and fatalities is what matters most.

“I think it is a good idea because it could prevent a lot of tragedies,” Grace Aakre, a fifth-year Winona State student, said.

When asked whether the law would be effective in preventing alcohol related deaths Kromminga said it is too soon to tell.

“I think we need to as a country, as a state and as a community have a larger conversation about alcohol,” Kromminga said.

Minnesota and sixteen other states including Texas, North Dakota, and Michigan now have Medical Amnesty protection.

It will take time to see if these laws have their intended effect, but for now the goal seems to be to protect the health and safety of minors.

Contact Molly at [email protected]