Rogers welcomed as vice president

Michelle Peterson/Winonan

Patricia Rogers sat at a conference room table with a coffee to her left and seven boxes of donuts to her right. Of course, all of those donuts weren’t for her. They were an introduction gift for the information technology department.

“I want to be out there, not tied to the office so much,” Rogers said.

Last July, Rogers joined Winona State University as the new provost and vice president of academic affairs.

“I love being brand new along with the new students because we can all relate. I’m on the journey along with the freshmen,” Rogers said.

Along with figuring out the job aspect, Rogers is also working on getting to know all the people, everywhere on campus.
“I want to understand the people who go unsaid – the people who keep the campus beautiful or clean the floors.”

Rogers described her provost position as being the go-to person if the president is unavailable. As the vice president of academic affairs, Rogers works with deans of all departments. Her background in art, health, humanities and technology gives her the breadth to understand many areas.

Rogers holds two doctorate degrees from the University of Minnesota: one in instructional systems and technology and one in art education.

Rogers also has an extensive background working in higher education with over 27 years of experience. She started as a cancer researcher from 1986 to 1996 for the school of public health at the University of Minnesota.

Rogers taught at Bemidji State University as an assistant and associate professor from 1996 to 1999. She became the interim system director for instructional technology for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities from 1999 to 2001.

She returned to Bemidji State in 2001 as a full professor until 2006.

Rogers said teaching was such a joy, but after a while, she decided to step into the role of dean.

She took her first position as founding dean in 2006 for the School of Education and Graduate Studies at Valley City State University. In 2007, Rogers became the dean and interim dean for the College of Health Science and Human Ecology and School of Graduate Studies at Bemidji State University.

She served as a dean for seven years before she felt the need to advance her career further by preparing for provost positions.

“My goals are the university’s goals, the hopes and dreams, and how we can turn those into direction. There are so many new things here – the Education Village and the STEM Camp. It’s wonderful to be a part of them. It’d be an honor for anyone to be here.”

Contact Michelle at [email protected]