Scarletta: right here, right now

Scarletta, of Nashville, Tenn., gets the crowd excited on Tuesday, Sept. 3. ANDREA BAUTCH
Scarletta, of Nashville, Tenn., gets the crowd excited on Tuesday, Sept. 3.
ANDREA BAUTCH

Leah Perri/Winonan

Nashville, Tenn. native country band, Scarletta, rocked the East Hall of Kryzsko Commons last Tuesday night.

The rock-influenced country trio performed an hour and a half long set for the students of Winona State University. The band includes lead vocals by Emilee Allan, vocals and guitar by Benji Harris and vocals and fiddle by Nathan Stoops.

The event was organized by the University Programs and Activities Committee (UPAC) as this year’s first campus concert. The band was a great pick by Katy Faber, UPAC director, who attended a NACA (National Association for Campus Activities) conference last spring and saw them perform.

“When we saw them last year, they were awesome and a lot of fun to watch. We were also able to get them here for a reasonable price,” Faber said.

Scarletta performed its hit single, “Right Here, Right Now,” which reached number 28 on Nashville’s Music Row Radio Chart. Scarletta has also recently been named to Billboard Magazine’s Top 10 Country Artists to watch in 2013.

“Want Me,” and “Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is,” were also two popular songs the band performed, with great response from the students gathered.

The band also did an interesting rendition of Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion,” 1984 film theme song, “Footloose,” as well as a song written “especially for WSU Students” who have to suffer through harsh winters—“It’s summertime somewhere.”

Scarletta has been together for about four years and has had their ups and downs, from the high life of touring to losing their lead vocalist just three weeks ago. Allan, who bravely filled the spot, has already memorized all of the songs and is a “breath of fresh air” for the band.

“She brings a kind of smoky and bluesy vibe to the band that we really like,” Stoops said. Allan has even begun writing her own songs to contribute as well.

The at first stiff and shy crowd of students loosened up by the end of the night and crowded at the foot of the stage to dance and sing along with the band.

“We just really wanted a high energy trio that brought rock, pop and country influences and meshed them together,” Harris said. “We wanted to bring a little fun to the music scene, and we get a cool response everywhere we go.”

Winona State students definitely had a cool response Tuesday night, and were able to sign up on the band’s email list to receive a free song download.

With two studio albums available on iTunes, both self-titled “Scarletta,” the band is soon to release a third album within the next couple of months.

Contact Leah at [email protected]