Walk a Mile fights domestic violence

Pi Lambda Phi participants walk, winning the award for most members. BARTHOLOME RONDET
Pi Lambda Phi participants walk, winning the award for most members.
BARTHOLOME RONDET

Michelle Peterson/Winonan

Men donned red heels and paraded down the street last Saturday in support of the 2nd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes for the Women’s Resource Center.

The event creates awareness about domestic violence and raises funds for the center. Mostly men participate in the walk, but women are encouraged to show support.

Diana Miller, executive director of the center, said the event shows the community that men are taking a stand against domestic violence.

“It’s not just a women’s issue; it’s everyone’s issue,” Miller said.

Emily Dierling, an advocate for the center, said the event has ignited the conversation about domestic abuse. Statistics show that men, more often than women, are the perpetrator in domestic violence cases.

“In order to get violence to stop, we need to get men involved,” Dierling said.

He said it was great to see that men were comfortable enough to wear the heels.

“They do some things in those heels that I wouldn’t even do, like line dancing and jumping around,” Dierling said.

This year, the center started a revolving trophy for the team that raises the most money. The trophy went to team Tough Guys for raising $360. Teams will have to raise more than that to get the trophy next year.

Mark Peterson, mayor of Winona, was a member of the Tough Guys team.

Peterson said the work that the resource center does is crucial to help victims of domestic violence.

“It’s unfortunate work, but it’s important that someone does it,” Peterson said.

Mark Dierling received the award for the individual who raised the most money. He raised $300 this year.

The event holds contests such as best legs, best walk and most team spirit.

Last year Jake Klaver took the award for best legs. Klaver said the event hit close to home for him, and the center was there to support him.

This year, Klaver sported a Superman costume to show his spirit.

Klaver passed his crown to Nick Cota, a Winona State University student, for best legs.

William Bomchill, also a Winona State student, won the award for best walk.

The fraternity Pi Lambda Phi won a beanbag set for having the most members at the walk, and Winona State’s video game club won the award for most spirited team.

The fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon sponsored the event this year. Members helped promote and set up the event.

Tom Koehler, president of the fraternity, knows people who have been in abusive situations.

“No one should experience it,” Koehler said.

Koehler said this is a fun way to spread the message that domestic violence needs to stop. After an hour and a half of wearing heels, Koehler said with a smile, “I love the pain.”

Near the end of the walk, most people were limping and groaning, but some men ran by with enthusiasm, holding their signs proudly. Several men finished the mile leaning on their friends’ shoulders.

Massage therapy students from Southeast Technical College rewarded people who wore heels with a free foot massage at the end of the walk.

“Any man that’s willing to walk in heels deserves a massage after,” Amanda McDougal, a massage therapy student, said.

Around 200 people participated in the walk this year, about 50 more people than last year.

The center provided flip-flops for men who wanted to participate but couldn’t wear heels.

The center showcased two projects at the walk: The T-shirt project, which displayed decorated T-shirts to represent homicide victims of domestic violence in 2013, and the teal flag project, which displayed 214 flags, each one representing a report of assault to the center in 2012.

Contact Michelle at [email protected]