A new home for KEAP?

KEAP center members hang out in temporary space in Wabasha Hall. BARTHOLOME RONDET
KEAP center members hang out in temporary space in Wabasha Hall.
BARTHOLOME RONDET

Kayla Langmaid/Winonan

Winona State University is the only university within the Minnesota State Colleges and University system that does not have a Diversity Resource Center.

Knowledge, Empowerment, Advocacy, and Pluralism (KEAP), a Winona State organization, is seeking to become the Diversity Resource Center for Winona State and the community.

The KEAP center was given temporary space in Wabasha Hall, but they want space in Kryzsko Commons.

Cara Luebke, KEAP student leader, said, “We have gotten the ball rolling, but nothing is set in stone. The most difficult thing is to receive funding.”

KEAP is trying to gain support for the Diversity Resource Center.

Joe Reed, director of the Student Union, said the organization will be given the space in Room 162, but the decision of whether there will be an actual Diversity Resource Center hasn’t been formally made by administration.

The process to become a resource center began in 2011 when Winona State students attended the Power in Diversity Conference.

Students realized that Winona State students did not have a safe space on campus to discuss their social identities, so they started the No Space Coalition.

To keep progress moving, President Scott Olson has made a monthly meeting with KEAP leaders to discuss different ideas.

KEAP is advocating for a new space, besides Wabasha Hall, because of Wabasha’s distance from Main Campus.

The resource center would provide a safe place for students to report acts of discrimination.

Another thing KEAP is advocating for is changing policies, practices and attitudes of the campus, its students and its employees.

Luebke said students need a cultural support system to feel comfortable rather than feeling that they have to assimilate into the dominant culture.

The diversity center would also be educating the campus and community about various cultures and promoting awareness of multicultural and social justice issues.

Luebke said the KEAP center has many goals and ideas, but they can’t be done without the Winona community.

Contact Kayla at [email protected]