Club fights against human trafficking

Michelle Peterson/Winonan

Justice Mission is a new club on campus with the goals of raising voices, raising awareness and raising support about human trafficking.

Janelle Studnicka and Stephanie Lohn started the club in early October. The two met through mutual friends and discovered their shared passion for ending human trafficking.

“Steph and I got together and started something that would help us start a movement on campus,” Studnicka said.

Lohn, a freshman at Winona State University, said she learned about the issue of sex trafficking in high school. She said she didn’t exactly understand it, but she thought it was interesting.

“When I came here, I was just like, ‘God, show me what you want me to do,’” Lohn said.

To educate people, the club will show the documentary “Nefarious” that gives an in-depth look into the issue of sex trafficking.

Four countries are explored, one of them being Thailand. Studnicka said what they show is exactly what she experienced in the red-light district of Thailand.

Studnicka traveled to Thailand’s red-light district to encourage women who are involved in human trafficking to consider a different lifestyle. Studnicka would sit down with a woman at a bar and strike up a conversation.

“Hopefully we would share God’s love with her and ask her if she would like  a  different job at a safe house,” Studnicka said.

At safe houses women learn occupational skills so they do not have to continue working at the bars. The women also make jewelry to sell in Set Me Free Shops, like the one Studnicka works at in Onalaska.

She said she trusts the film, because it gives the facts and shows the reality of human trafficking.

“I think that ‘Nefarious’ is real. What’s in it is real,” Studnicka said.

Studnicka said the film is produced by Christians, so it adds the power of God to the fight.

“I think that’s an essential piece to fighting human trafficking,” Studnicka said.

Justice Mission will show the film from 7 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. on Nov. 25 in the Harriet Johnson Auditorium in Somsen Hall.

Justice Mission will provide childcare for those who need it. The film showing is free to attend, but donations are accepted. Money raised will go toward aftercare kits for women who are rescued.

In the spring, Justice Mission will partner with the dance department to host a dance for freedom.

“We’re hoping to share about human trafficking through dance and music,” Studnicka said.

They are asking local artists to donate a painting for auction at the dance. With the money raised, they will fund an international justice mission that sends investigators and detectives to rescue women who are unable to leave on their own.

Justice Mission is working on putting together a panel of people to speak about human trafficking this spring. The panel will include a law enforcement official, a child advocacy professor and two former sex workers who spoke at a recent conference.

“We want to show people that this is in our community, and this is why we need to do something,” Studnicka said.

Justice Mission wants to make a template for other colleges to start similar clubs. The club meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday in Minné 244.

Contact Michelle at [email protected]