Goose Bump Jump returns for community fundraiser

ALICIA ALVERSON
ALICIA ALVERSON

Abigail Derkson/Winonan

For people who want to dare the winter cold, Winona Parks & Recreation will host the Goose Bump Jump on Saturday, Feb. 8. From 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., the public and Winona State students can jump into Lake Winona for a good cause.

The $20 registration fee to participate in the Goose Bump Jump will be put toward the Winona Parks & Recreation Scholarship Fund. The fund, according to Parks & Recreation coordinator Pam Pfister, will help people around the community in need who can’t afford parks and recreation programs on their own.

Pfister said, “That fund offsets the cost for people in the community who want to access our programming who may not be able to afford it.”

The jump has become more popular since it began nine years ago. Winona Parks & Recreation has teamed up with Winona State women’s rugby team to fundraise and let people know about the event.

For some students, the Goose Bump Jump is considered a must. For one student, who wished to remain anonymous, jumping is something she has always wanted to do.

“It’s totally worth it,” the student said. “You got to try it once in life. I mean, why not? It’s really fun. You have to just try it once.”

This student in particular said she is not afraid of the cold water and the winter temperature.

“I love winter. I love everything about it. I don’t like the warmth,” she said. “You can always put more on, but you can never take more off. The cold is awesome.”

The student plans to jump in with friends while they wear tutus and superhero t-shirts.

For people concerned about the safety risks involved in jumping in the freezing water, Pfister assured that all safety precautions are in place for the Goose Bump Jump.

“Safety is a top priority,” Pfister said. “We have dive rescue on-site to assist, and all Park & Rec. staff are certified in CPR. We have people who would be there to quickly recognize and follow up with the appropriate care.”

Follow-up care for people who participate in the jump includes a changing tent where participants can change into warm, dry clothes. Since the hole will be drilled just outside the Lake Lodge Recreation Center, people can warm up inside there as well.

For people uncertain if they want to participate, they have until the day of the jump to decide.

People can register on site at 11:30 a.m., but they will have to wait for other people already registered to jump first.

For those who are nervous about the jump itself, Pfister offers some advice.

“Pretty much jump in, and start moving, and exit. It’s kind of a warped time because it feels like it happens really fast,” she said. “You get in, you got to go out.”

She said, “It’s definitely something that if you haven’t done it, it’s definitely worth doing it once.”

Regarding donations, she said, “A little can go a long way.” They plan to sell t-shirts at the Goose Bump Jump to raise additional money.