Feb. 20 class cancellation: ‘hindsight is 20/20’

Hannah Jones/Winonan

Winona State University came to a freezing halt last Thursday, Feb. 20, when administrators announced the second school closing this year due to weather conditions.

Scott Ellinghuysen, vice president of finance and administrative services at Winona State, was part of the committee that made the call.

“As always with these cancellations, it was a team effort,” Ellinghuysen said. “You’ve just got to use your best judgment in these situations.”

Ellinghuysen and company opted to cancel the entire day. The announcement was made around 10 p.m. Wednesday based on area forecasts for heavy snowfall and sleet starting at 9 a.m. on Thursday.

The next day at 9 a.m., the skies were overcast, but snow was nowhere in sight. Noon rolled around with no change in conditions. Many students reacted with confusion at what was shaping up to be a seemingly snowless snow day.

Snow didn’t start in earnest until 3 p.m.

“The weather obviously shifted. Hindsight is always 20/20,” Ellinghuysen said.

Ashley Scheider was one student who didn’t mind the premature cancellation.

“I don’t have any class on Friday, so I’m getting a four-day weekend,” she said.

Not all students were thrilled with the cancellation.

Kate Effertz, a senior graphic design major, was excited by the initial announcement Wednesday night. The next day, not so much, she said.

“I had some meetings planned,” she said. “I think they should wait to announce snow days until 6 a.m.”

Even with the premature snow warning, Ellinghuysen said he believes he made the right choice. Even if students were able to get to campus safely, the commute home would have been through a blizzard.

“More advanced notice is always better,” he said.

Tracy Rahim, associate director of student activities and leadership, sent out the email later that afternoon that both Kryzsko Commons and the library were closing after 8 p.m. The weather conditions, she said, were just too risky to allow the facilities to remain open any later.

“If it was just snow, and there wasn’t rain or ice, it would be a different story,” she said.

Kryzsko Commons and the library always coordinate their early closings. On Thursday, Rahim was remaining in communication with library staff and watching the weather radar.

“We wanted to make sure students on the meal plan can eat, but then they need to get home safely,” she said.

Everything seemed effectively handled—another winter weather emergency dealt with. The winter weather, however, wasn’t done. The day ended with about five inches of accumulated snow, and below-freezing temperatures took their course overnight. By morning, roads, sidewalks and cars were encrusted in a layer of ice.

Students waited for the announcement.

None came. Several professors took the liberty of canceling their own classes, but officially, school was still on.

The commute to school was littered with cars stuck behind walls of ice, cars with wheels cemented to the pavement and cars that just wouldn’t start.

Effertz was less than amused.

“My brother fell down on his way to class,” she said. “His side is all bruised.”

Temperatures are expected to stay low for the week ahead, but are predicted to start rising the first week of March.

Until then, students are advised to err on the safe side when it comes to winter weather emergencies like Thursday and Friday last week.

“Stay home. Be safe,” Rahim said.