Students face the struggle of school-year employment

Samantha Hedin/ Winonan

With a high demand for jobs, college students often find it difficult to find one. Because degrees have yet to be earned, the places requiring little schooling or experience are the jobs college students often pursue.

Taylor Fish, a freshman nursing major at Winona State University, is an example of this. After applying at three different places with no results, Fish said she finds herself frustrated. She recently applied at Winona Health, Sugar Loaf Senior Living and Walmart.

“I haven’t heard anything,” Fish said. “I’ve called but had to leave a message because they didn’t answer.”

Fish also said she is positive each place has open positions.

College students seek jobs because they need ways to pay for school expenses, Fish said.

“Everyone is scrambling for jobs because school bills have already started piling up,” Fish said.

Fish also seemed concerned about what options she will have if she never hears back. “I’m going to have to apply at a fast food restaurant, which I do not want to do,” she said.

Michaela Handke, a freshman at Winona State, has not had much difficulty getting a job.

“I have worked at Hy-Vee here in Winona for about a year and a half now,” Handke said. “Personally, I haven’t had trouble finding jobs. I’ve actually had to turn down offers for other jobs.”

For some students, this is not the case. Finding a job in a smaller town such as Winona means a limited amount of opportunity for finding employment.

“I feel that it can be hard for some students to get a job around here because it is a smaller town. Everyone knows everyone, people make connections through the years,” Handke said. “People know your character, your parents, grandparents, cousins, and they give recommendations that get your foot in the door.”

Handke said she thinks living in Winona prior to beginning school could have benefits when it comes to finding jobs.

“I think another part is that living here you know more about certain businesses and their hiring process and the types of people they like to hire,” Handke said.

Handke suggested to those with trouble to apply at bigger businesses that are almost always hiring such as Hy-Vee, Fastenal, Walmart, as well as some of the factories in town. Handke continued and said, “If you are looking for a job that’s in the field you are going to school for, it might be harder to find a position.”