Student Senate approves housing fee increase

Ben Strand/ Winonan

After two months of debate, Winona State University’s Student Senate approved the residence halls’ budget increase proposal at their last meeting on April 8.

Josh Hanson, a member of student senate, said it is really nice to have the proposal approved.

“Personally, I am very happy,” Hanson said.“This was the responsible response from this senate.”

From the minimum wage increase to an increase in the cost of Chartwells, the three percent increase to the residence halls’ budget was necessary to ensure building maintenance and student safety in the halls, Hanson said.

“This fee only affects the students that choose to live in the resident halls. The housing fee only applies to individuals that live on-campus,” Hanson said.

He added that the fee would be an additional $230 for students living on campus.

Danny Young, who is executive president of the residence housing association, said a lot of work and consultation has gone into this proposal.

“On February 9, hall councils presented the budget to their residents and were open for questions and concerns,” Young said. “From what we gathered, people were definitely on board with the fee and understood the reasoning behind it. All four building complexes were in support of the increase.”

Nicole Zimmerman, who is a resident assistant in Lucas Hall, said she hopes that if people have issues with the housing department or increase they take them up with the department.

“I just hope that if people have issues with the housing department they will address them directly next year, so we can start this conversation much earlier,” Zimmerman said.

Hanson said this increase does not mean the fee will continue to increase.

“Many members of the senate body expressed they would like to see more collaboration with residence life in order to try to address the fee increases and try to diminish them in the future,” Hanson said.

Overall, there is a sense of relief all around that the proposal finally went through after months of discussion, Young said.

“I am pleased the fee was voted through as a ‘yes’ by both SFMC and student senate,” Young said. “I think they did the right thing in passing this fee.”

Young said no one is ever happy with an increase for any fee and added after much consulting it was found students who are returning to the resident halls are willing to pay a little extra to receive the amenities and services housing has to offer.