Food for thought: Peanut butter, strawberry, and banana quesadilla

Kaysey Price/Winonan

It’s that time of year again. The semester’s exciting novelty is beginning to wear off, and students are starting to settle into classes and daily routines. With the semester in full swing, every student has different needs when it comes to meals.

Some students need something quick and easy at mealtime, some need a little variety after eating cafeteria food every day, and others are wondering how they’re going to stave off the notorious Freshman 15.

One recipe can fulfill all three needs. The recipe comes from www.ambitiouskitchen.com, and they have so kindly dubbed it “Peanut butter, strawberry, & banana quesadillas.” The name doesn’t quite roll off the tongue as well as what I think it should be called: fancy PB&J, which is basically what it is, plus a little grill action.

Here’s what you’ll need:

-Cooking spray or butter

-Peanut butter (The recipe says two tablespoons, but we

all know more is better in this category.)

-2 whole grain tortillas

-1 banana

-4-5 strawberries

-Cinnamon

This recipe is great, because on top of being easy, it’s cheap. It cost $11.65 plus tax for all of the ingredients (sans cinnamon because it’s an optional ingredient) at the local grocery store. However, the recipe could be

less expensive if you purchased smaller portions, or off-brand ingredients.

To make the fancy PB&J, you simply spread some

peanut butter on a tortilla. Then, you slice your banana and strawberries, and spread them on the tortilla. Add as much fruit as you would like. You can add cinnamon at this point, but it’s not necessary.

Finally, spray a pan with cooking spray, and grill it on a medium heat until both sides are golden brown.

The nice thing about this particular PB&J is that you can enjoy it for breakfast, as well as lunch or dinner. Like the Chuck Norris-endorsed Total Gym, it’s versatile. You can even add different fruit depending on your preference. If you add apples and cinnamon, it has more of a fritter effect, which could potentially be enjoyed as dessert.

When I made this recipe, I enjoyed it for lunch. The protein and carbs kept me energized for the rest of the school day, plus I got in a few servings of fruit.

If you’re looking for something easy, give the recipe a try. It’s reminiscent of the PB&J’s your mom or dad might have packed in your lunch box, so it may remind you of home, and most importantly, taste great without breaking the bank