Students coordinate eighth annual Winona Adventure Race

Canoers paddle their way across the lake while participating in the social race of the Winona Adventure Race on Saturday, Oct. 17. The Winona Adventure Race was coordinated by Winona State University recreation, tourism and therapeutic recreation students. (Photo by Brianna Murphy)
Canoers paddle their way across the lake while participating in the social race of the Winona Adventure Race on Saturday, Oct. 17.
The Winona Adventure Race was coordinated by Winona State University recreation, tourism and therapeutic recreation students. (Photo by Brianna Murphy)

Jordan Gerard/Winonan

Chilly autumn weather did not stop students from running, biking and canoeing in the Winona Adventure Race on Saturday, Oct. 17.

The eighth annual race was planned and hosted by professor David Wright’s recreational programming class.

“It’s an event-planning exercise. They are graded on it,” Wright said. “The students have to work out the timing, the schedule, budgeting and delivery of the event.”

Wright said this year’s event has been successful.

“Usually the degree of organization of the event depends on the group,” Wright said. “The race is great. It combines students and the community.”

Wright said the class has three different types of events through the semester: the adventure race, Halloween trick or treating with kids from Kids First and the Thanksgiving dinner for international students and community members.

There are three different student coordinators for the events and they each have their committee, Wright said.

Recreation, tourism and therapeutic recreation (RTTR) student Libby Schuett volunteered as head coordinator for this year’s race.

“It gives us the experience of planning events. Our field is event orientated,” Schuett said.

She added there are different committees with head coordinators who work together on promotions, facilities, budgeting and a prize committee.

“We all come together and make the event a successful one,” Schuett said.

The race had two different sections: a social pairs event and an elite event. For the social pairs, two people ran, biked and canoed together and take their time. The elite event is a little more competitive, Schuett said. The registration for the social race was $10 and the elite race was $20, with the proceeds benefiting other events in the class.

“For the social pairs event, you can pick a partner and have fun with it. The elite race is for individuals and it’s competitive,” Schuett said.

The social pairs race started and finished at Jaycee Pavilion near Lake Winona. From the pavilion, participants ran to Lake Lodge, and then canoed across Lake Winona to the running path. They biked to Holzinger Lodge and then canoed back across the lake and finally ran back to the pavilion for a total of five miles.

RTTR sophomore Lindsey Orre ran the first heat of the social race. She was in the race as a requirement for her class.

“I got second, but I had to keep up with my partner who runs cross country,” Orre said. “I expected it to be worse, but I survived, and I’m still walking.”

The elite race also started at the pavilion by running to Lake Lodge and then kayaking across the lake, but participants ran to Holzinger Lodge, then biked up Garvin Heights Road all the way to Highway 43, which led down into Winona and finally kayaked across Lake Winona and ran back to the finish line at the pavilion.

RTTR junior Carly Hornstine took part in the second heat of the social race for her outdoor pursuits class.

“I’ve never really been a runner, but I enjoy biking and canoeing,” Hornstine said.

The top three finishers in each race received a prize for their pursuits.