Pedestrian safety becomes main focus of Student Senate

Ben Strand/Winonan

Winona State University Student Senate met for a shortened meeting on Thursday, Oct. 22 because of a dinner at Winona State President Scott Olson’s house.

In bigger news, the pedestrian crosswalk concern that has paved its way to relevance was discussed at the meeting.

Approximately 75 percent of Winona State students live off-campus, and the recent incidents involving car-pedestrian accidents have raised the issue of improving the lighting or signals in Winona’s streets to increase pedestrian safety, according to the senate.

As per request and with the petition started last week to call for more pedestrian safety, Student Senate recommended the creation of a group of Winona State students, Winona State faculty and staff, Winona City Council members, City of Winona staff and other related parties to promote further discussion on the issue and explore possible solutions.

The goal is to eventually develop an accident reduction plan to present to the Student Senate, and a variety of solutions have been proposed, focusing on major streets Broadway, Huff, Sarnia and Main.

Student Senate President Josh Hanson will present the motion to the Winona City Council soon after anything passes.

Student Senate member Nicole Zimmerman said it has been trying to pass something related to this issue for a long time, but after the recent incidents, voices are becoming more concerned and vocal.

“The last thing anyone wants is for someone to get hurt,” Zimmerman said. “So hopefully this will help pedestrian safety, but also promote a better culture around town about safe driving. This motion truly shows what a great community there is at Winona State that really comes together in a tragic time.”

In other news, Winona States’s geology club will be allocated $1,173.95 for the Geological Society of America conference.