Winona State students support Britney Nelson in prayer session

Students gathered around the gazebo Thursday, Oct. 22 to support and pray for Britney Nelson, who was hit by a car while crossing West Broadway and Harriet Streets Monday, Oct. 19. (Photo contributed by Hannah Yang of Rochester Post-Bulletin)
Sophomore Britney Nelson was involved in a pedestrian/car collison Monday, Oct. 19. She is currently recovering at Gundersen Medical Center and will be transfered to Hennepin County Medical Center. (Photo contributed by Alannah Evelius)

Jordan Gerard/Winonan

On Thursday evening, Oct. 22, the Winona State University gazebo was illuminated by candlelight from a prayer session held by Delta Phi Epsilon for one of their sisters involved in a pedestrian/car collision Monday, Oct. 19.

Winona State sophomore Britney Nelson was crossing West Broadway and Harriet Streets around 9 p.m. when a car, driven by a 64-year-old woman, struck her.

Nelson was unresponsive at the scene and transported to Winona Health for evaluation. Due to the hospital’s lack of a trauma unit, Nelson was airlifted to Gundersen Medical Center in La Crosse, Wis. for treatment.

Doctors found a vertebrae fracture, two skull fractures and bleeding in her brain, according to a journal entry on a Caring Bridge page created by Kailee Fischer, one of Nelson’s close friends.

Fischer, Alannah Evelius, Sydney Lund, Jess Cemke and Kenzie Howard followed Nelson to the hospital and stayed until her parents had arrived.

Caring Bridge, a nonprofit organization that allows users to update online pages regarding medical situations, reports Nelson’s progress every day. She is now able to breath, eat and talk on her own. The doctors also put her in a Johnny Jumper, a device used to aid in walking, and she was able to hug her dad a few days after the accident.

About 50 to 75 people attended the prayer session hosted by the five friends. Many of the attendees were members of Greek life.

The night started with a prayer, even though the sorority is non-religious, Rachel Haller said. Haller is a friend of Nelson and drove the group to La Crosse on Monday night.

“During this time, we need hope; we need strength,” Haller said. “Anyone here tonight is supportive.”

The Greek community went so far as to wearing red for a night for Greek Week. Camouflage and red are Nelson’s favorite colors, close friend Alannah Evelius said.

“If any word could describe her, it would be bold,” Haller said. “She’s very outgoing and always smiling. She’s very driven. There was nothing that could stop her.”

During the event, friends and supporters told stories about Nelson. Haller also mentioned Nelson’s dog, Charlie.

“Those two are side by side. She would have brought him to classes if she could,” Haller said.

Many said they know Nelson’s laugh very well.

“Her laugh is so contagious and that’s something that’s recognizable too. Lots of videos have been posted about her laugh,” Evelius said.

Evelius said they were able to see her on Tuesday night when they brought her parents a care package.

“She looks like Britney. She doesn’t look unrecognizable,” Evelius said. “It was scary, and it was sad. Definitely wouldn’t want to see any of my friends like that, but it was relieving to know that she still looked like Britney and acting like Britney now.”

Evelius said she was happy with the turnout at the prayer session.

“I was so overwhelmed with emotion. I knew a lot of people said they were going to be here, and I was scared that not many people were going to show up. But with the amount of people that showed up, I think it showed really well how supported she is and how much we love her,”

Evelius said.

Evelius first met Nelson when she was going through recruitment, where she left quite an impression.

“She wore a dress that showed off her gun tattoo, and everyone knew her as ‘the girl with the gun tattoo,’” Evelius recalled. “I fell in love with her, and she’s my best friend’s Little in sorority. We’ve always had a connection and just love her to death. And my Little, Sydney Lund, is her best friend too.”

Evelius said Nelson is one of the first people she goes to when she needs someone.

“Britney is one of the most spunkiest people you’ll ever talk to. She always has a smile on her face, always laughing,” Evelius said.

In addition to Fischer’s Caring Bridge page, Howard started a GoFundMe page to help Nelson’s parents with medical costs and also keep friends and supporters updated on her condition. As of Monday night, the site has raised $1,010 for Nelson and holds a goal of $10,000.

There have been multiple accidents this year involving cars and pedestrians, sparking a conversation and petition for brighter streetlights in Winona. Winona State’s Kyle Strand started a petition with reasons and examples for brighter lights around Winona.

Evelius said she signed the petition and shared it with her sisters and they also signed it. As of Monday night, there are 1,558 out of 2,000 signatures needed.

“I love it. I’m all in support of it,” Evelius said. “Student Senate is doing something about it. Definitely know that something needs to be done with three people getting hit in less than a year on Broadway alone is scary.”

Winona State also helped promote pedestrian safety with a Crosswalk Safety event in September. The event was held at various locations in Winona and demonstrated proper use of a crosswalk.

As of Monday, Oct. 26, the Caring Bridge page reported Nelson fed herself lunch and looked at two scrapbooks her friends had made. She also pointed out her dog Charlie and a few friends. Nelson’s transfer to Hennepin County Medical Center will take a few days due to paperwork.

Visit the following pages for updates on Nelson’s condition and ways to support her:

www.caringbridge.org/visit/britneyraylanelson

www.gofundme.com/tn6rsr74

Look for an article in next week’s paper regarding the pedestrian crosswalk petition.