Student group holds slam poetry nights

Student group holds slam poetry nights

Gina Scott/Winonan

As finals week approaches, many students at Winona State University are looking for opportunities and events to rid their minds of built-up stress.

An unofficial club comprised of Winona State students believe their slam poetry nights are just what people need. They call themselves “Black Sheep.”

On the first Wednesday of each month, the Black Sheep poetry group hosts a slam poetry night at Blooming Grounds. Starting at 7 p.m., poets get in front of microphones and share their writing with the audience.

Bethany Stavran, a member of the Black Sheep group, said the event is open to anyone.

“We try to get at least a set group of performers who we know are going to perform,” Stavran said. “After they’re done we open it up to anyone else who is feeling inspired or wants to try something new.”

Stavran and Ben Strand built the slam poetry scene in Winona together.

“I went to [a slam poetry workshop] and met Bethany Stavran, who told me about a [slam poetry] event at Mugby Junction,” Strand said. “I went and performed for the first time ever, and the rest is history.”

Slam poets are given the ability to say whatever is on their mind as soon as they set foot on the stage. With topics ranging from racial issues or ex-lovers to thoughts on sexuality or finals week, every poet can have something to speak about.

“That’s what makes slam poetry, and poetry in general, so great,” Strand said. “It reaches all different audiences and is relatable in so many different ways.”

Stavran also finds diversity to be one of the outstanding characteristics of the events.

“It’s up to the individual performer,” Stavran said. “The nice thing about our [Black Sheep] group is that we have completely different styles.”

The poets encourage audience interactions during their performances. The crowd will often shout in agreement with the poet, laugh at the sarcasm, and nod in empathy when there are connections.

These slam nights used to be held in Mugby Junction, but because of the growing popularity, had to be moved to Blooming Grounds.

“[Slam nights] usually draw a pretty big crowd,” Stavran said.

Last year, the coffee shop would fill up completely. Now equipped with a stage and sound system, Blooming Grounds creates the environment the poets are looking for.

“It’s a calm, coffeehouse setting that is perfect for things like slam events,” Strand said. “People can come and watch the performers, work on homework, hang out with friends and it just has a really nice vibe to it.”

Along with their monthly slam nights at Blooming Grounds, the Black Sheep poetry group also hosts other shows at various venues. On Nov. 18, they will be hosting a slam night at the Midwest Music Store starting at 7 p.m.

According to Stavran, even when a person feels as if they have nothing to say, slam poetry nights tend to inspire audience members and give them a chance to unleash their voice.

“My favorite thing is when people attend a poetry slam for the first time, and at the end of it there’s always a couple people who come up to me and say, ‘I want to do that,’” Stavran said.

She explained how at a young age she was told she could not write poetry. After a couple friends wrote her name on a sign up for a slam event in high school as a joke, she sarcastically found her voice and knack for poetry.

“[Slam poetry] is just people finding that they have a voice and they don’t have to follow what all the English teachers say they have to do,” Stavran said.

Strand agreed with Stavran.

“I’m all about listening to content and hearing what other people have to say, no matter what way they say it,” Strand said.

The slam nights provided by the Black Sheep give students a judgment-free zone to express who they are and what is on their mind.

“Everyone has something to say in what they write. [Poetry] is just a beautiful art form that is becoming more and more popular in today’s world,” Strand said. “It’s a good outlet.”