Riding out the high

Riding out the high

Students react to drug use on campus, in residence halls

Cheney Mason/Winonan

Illegal substances are always of concern in the residence halls of Winona State University, according to Resident Assistant Elladee Zak. Students caught with the substances at Winona State suffer severe consequences.

Zak said she personally has not caught any resident with illegal substances, which are not allowed on the university’s campus in any way.

Illegal substances such as drugs are prohibited, and when found on the Winona State campus and inside residence halls are taken extremely seriously.

“I have not had to deal with any situations involving drugs this year,” Zak said. “Drugs are always of concern, however typically alcohol is more of a problem than drugs are in residence halls.”

When a student is caught with illegal substances standard protocol provided by the university is taken, Zak said.

“If a student is caught with them in the residence halls, the drugs are taken by security, and the student is reported to the residence hall director,” Zak explained.

Some students said they believe illegal substances on campus and in the residence halls are a big issue. Some said they have been exposed to these illegal substances, and for one student who chose to remain anonymous, being exposed to these substances was especially problematic for them due to a previous experience prior to college.

“Before college, I knew a good friend who overdosed on drugs, and it affected me,” the student said. “While I was in the dorms I was offered drugs, and it made me angry.”

According to the student, that experience conjured up bad memories for them. The student also said they feels drugs are not a big issue on campus but one instance was enough for them.

“I think drugs are a very serious issue and should actually be taken seriously. People don’t know how bad the risks are,” the student said.

Another student, Shaye Bruyere, said when in college, students are exposed to more, and the immense amount of freedom can be taken for granted.

“I am very anti-drug and always have been,” Bruyere said. “The university’s restrictions on drugs affect the amount of people who chose to do them because nobody wants to get kicked out of the dorms.”

If illegal substances of any kind including alcohol are found on campus or in residence halls the student should be reported to a resident assistant on duty or Winona State Security.