Track and field claims pair of events

Track and field claims pair of events

Kilat Fitzgerald / Winonan

The Winona State University women’s track team sent its jumpers to compete at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh on Friday. The team took third place with two Warriors placing first in their events.

Jump coach Evan Perkins said having a choice where to compete can help their team.

“This time of the indoor season we really get to pick and choose which meets to attend in order to create the best competition for our athletes,” jump coach Evan Perkins said. “It really shows our depth and skill level. We did really well.”

The long jump was won by the Warriors as they occupied the top three slots with junior Hailey Deschaine at the top. Deschaine was victorious in her event as she set a personal best of 5.57 meters (18 3/4), a provisional qualifying mark.

“It was one of those jumps when you feel it’s going to be a good one while you’re in the air a lot longer. It was my last jump so it felt real good,” Deschaine said. “But my hand happened to brush the sand a little bit behind me and they marked that spot. I actually landed a good four or six inches longer. Working up to this point has been baby steps. To get to that 19 (meter) mark, that’s the big goal.”

Perkins said Deschaine performed well.

“She had a fantastic day,” said Coach Perkins. “We’re excited with conference being three weeks away.”

This was followed by junior Andrea Bartz in second place with a mark of 5.29 meters (17-4 1/4) and sophomore Alexandria Schmidt in third place with a mark of 5.27 meters (17-3 1/2).

Winona State also claimed the triple jump event, which was won by Bartz’s 11.47-meter (37-7 3/4) leap. In second place was sophomore Amanda Schaefer with a mark of 10.98 meters (36 1/4).

“I know I can make it past 11 meters. I did before in high school. It’s frustrating,” Schaefer said. “I haven’t done it for a while and it’s just a little hard to get back into it. But it’s exciting to do again.”

The high jump also put Schaefer in second place when she cleared a provisional qualifying distance of five feet, five and a quarter inches.

“I’ve always done a little bit of everything,” Schaefer said.

Perkins said Schaefer has been able to rebound after breaking her ankle.

“She’s been doing well,” said Perkins. “After she broke her ankle, It was a work in progress with all the rehab to get her healthy. Now she’s doing good things and working on the technique. It’s great to see her get back on that bicycle.”

Winona State competed in one running event at the meet, a 200 meter dash where sophomore Tamika Tucker clocked in 26.54 seconds for the second place spot.

“It was less of a team atmosphere, since not all of us were there to cheer each other on,” Schaefer said. “But I kind of like it when there’s less people. There’s pros and cons.”

Perkins said he was proud of the team’s hard work and progress throughout the season.

Winona State will have its next competition on Friday at St. Thomas in St. Paul before heading to the NSIC Multi Championships on Sunday in Mankato.