Loitering citizen causes caution for Winona State

Cheney Mason / Winonan

A person loitering near Wabasha Hall raised concern for not only the safety of Winona State University students, faculty and staff but also for the Wabasha Children’s Center and its students and staff.

The person was identified by Winona State as neither a student nor an employee and was subject for arrest.

Tarrell Portman, dean of the College of Education, said she did not believe the loiterer was an issue of great concern for the Winona State campus or the Wabasha Hall Children’s Center.

“I was contacted after security had been contacted,” Portman said. “There was no crime committed. My understanding is limited, but no one was in danger and the children were all safe.”

Portman explained the person was known by the director of the children’s center, June Reinecke, and there was no cause for safety concern after security measures were taken.

Portman said the center was surprised mainly because they did not recognize the person.

“We took correct measures,” Portman said.  “We followed up and had the facilities work with the elevator that goes down the children’s center so nobody can get in. All other doors have a code to get inside.”

The information was released because the university wanted to remain transparent about the incident.

“We want everyone to be aware that this was not endangering,” Portman said.

The Winona State campus took security measures to ensure the safety of everyone, but there was no endangerment or real crime committed, according to Portman.

“It was just an instance that occurred, and I didn’t receive any message from any parents from the children’s center in Wabasha,” Portman said.

Portman said she got involved in the inci-dent because Wabasha Hall fell under her responsibility. Patricia L. Rogers, the provost and vice-president for Academic Affairs at Winona State, was gone.

“It really wasn’t a situation that was at the level that there should be a great deal of concern,” Portman said. “It was something that was taken care of.”

Portman explained one of the points and visions for the education village, which includes renovations and upgrades to Wabasha Hall and its children’s center, is that it will be a community engagement space. This means people from the community will be able to enter the building.

“When you have public buildings there are obviously people that come into the public spaces,” Portman said. “The children’s center has security measures in place so that people can not access the children’s center.”