Students’ voices heard at Warrior Debate

Left to right: Michaela Curley, Duc Nguyen, Danielle Weiler and Benedict Linsenmeyer participate in the Warrior Debate about social media and Winona State University’s responsibility to provide a set of guidelines. (Photo by Emma Masiulewicz)

Miranda Coulthard / Winonan

The cameras point at the bright blue background as four anxious students shuffled their papers in anticipation.

Winona State University students Michaela Curley, Duc Nguyen, Danielle Weiler and Benedict Linsenmeyer, were preparing for a live debate in Phelps Hall’s TV studio about whether or not Winona State should establish a social media code of conduct at the Warrior Debate on Monday, March 15.

Weiler and Linsenmeyer agreed there should be a social media code of conduct and Curley and Nguyen disagreed.

To decide which argument made the most impact on the crowd, a vote was taken at the beginning and end of the debate. The initial vote was 10 percent agreed, 52 percent disagreed and 32 percent undecided.

After a heated debate with arguments from both sides, another vote was taken. This time 46 percent agreed, 50 percent disagreed and four percent were still undecided.

Winona State junior Nguyen considered the Warrior Debate to be a useful tool for students to debate important topics on campus.

“There are things we do need to talk about,” Nguyen said, “We have to get the students’ opinions out there.”

Nguyen also talked very highly of the debate and would recommend other students participate.

“Definitely 100 percent would recommend this to other students,” Nguyen said. “Its not very often that students get to be treated with such a level of respect and professionalism.”

Winona State senior Weiler also said she would recommend more students become involved in the next debate.

“I would absolutely recommend this debate to other students, either to attend or participate in. It’s a very rewarding, empowering experience that allows your voice to be heard on contentious issues that affect the student body,” Weiler said.

She also talked about how important having debates are.

“I think having debates on contentious issues at Winona State helps educate and engage the community,” Weiler said. “By having open discussion on hot topics, we can figure out where the true misunderstandings lie and facilitate necessary discussions… I personally gained a sense of pride for representing my constituents in a whole new fashion.”

At the debate, Vice President for Academic Affairs Denise McDowell, one of the coordinators of the Warrior Debate, said there would be another debate during the fall semester of 2016.

Nguyen offered advice for students who might be interested, but not really sure if they wanted to participate.

“Most students believe that this is a high maintenance process and coming in with no experience, especially students who have never debated before, may be really intimidated,” Nguyen said. “I just want them to know that the whole process is guided. If you don’t think you’re prepared, if you don’t think you’re good enough, if you don’t think this is something for you please reconsider and go to one of the meetings.”