International dinner brings cultures together

Left to right: Shivantul Singh Chandel, Shaffaq Zaveri, Uzma Ghazanfar and Ian Higgins collect food at last year’s international dinner. The 29th Annual International Dinner “A Window into World Cultures” will be on Saturday, April 9. (Contributed photo)
Left to right: Shivantul Singh Chandel, Shaffaq Zaveri, Uzma Ghazanfar and Ian Higgins collect food at last year’s international dinner. The 29th Annual International Dinner “A Window into World Cultures” will be on Saturday, April 9. (Contributed photo)

Miranda Coulthard / Winonan

Winona State University students from all over the world are coming together to put on the 29th Annual International Dinner, “A Window into World Cultures” on Saturday, April 9.

This event will not only will feature food and clothing from all over the world, but there will also be dancing and music at 6 p.m. in the East Hall of Kryzsko Commons.

Winona State junior Melody Sheppard, head of marketing and part of public relations team for the international club, said the event will offer a wide variety of choices to participants.

“It’s a really great way to see what cultures from around the world have to offer and things that are a part of it, including the food, the performances, dances, songs and whatever traditional aspects that they have,” Sheppard said.

Sheppard also said the community gets involved with the event as well.

“It’s a fun event that not only the students get to come to, but the community is asked to come as well,” Sheppard said. “It’s a cool way of seeing a whole community come together and getting to experience the different cultures that are represented on campus.”

Winona State has 48 different countries represented on campus, which will be featured at the international dinner.

Winona State sophomore Sarah Cheong, a public relations officer for international club and an international student from Malaysia, will be attending the dinner for the second year in a row. She said the event is an extraordinary experience.

“It’s a rare opportunity for Winonans to actually experience, and it only comes once a year,” Cheong said. “This has been happening for 29 years, so that’s something amazing. It’s never the same. There are so many different people from different continents coming together. How often do we get to see so many countries come together?”

Cheong said she wants students to understand the dinner is intended for all students. She often has friends ask her if they can still attend even if they are American, to which she answers, “Of course.”

“You are from a country, too. Just because you aren’t an international student here doesn’t mean you aren’t an international student somewhere else,” Cheong said. “You can also bring your culture and show your identity at this dinner. You can wear your traditional costume.”

Students gather for last year’s international dinner. Left to right, top row: Devansh Chikara, Jemimah Akhimein, Uzma Ghazanfar, Lakni Jayasinghe and Shaffaq Zaveri. Left to right, bottom row: Angela Stoos-Amirash, Rasoga Samarasinghe, Tharindi Silva, Ejemen Aimienwau and Sarah Okemwa. The 29th Annual International Dinner “A Window into World Cultures” will be on Saturday, April 9. (Contributed photo)
Students gather for last year’s international dinner. Left to right, top row: Devansh Chikara, Jemimah Akhimein, Uzma Ghazanfar, Lakni Jayasinghe and Shaffaq Zaveri. Left to right, bottom row: Angela Stoos-Amirash, Rasoga Samarasinghe, Tharindi Silva, Ejemen Aimienwau and Sarah Okemwa. The 29th Annual International Dinner “A Window into World Cultures” will be on Saturday, April 9. (Contributed photo)

Cheong and Sheppard both mentioned how there will be cultural costumes international students have provided, food made by international students from their countries and traditional music and dances.

Cheong said she was really excited about a Turkish dance group that agreed to provide entertainment at the dinner this year. The group also performs at an international festival in St. Paul, Minn.

Sheppard said tickets would be sold during the week. There will be a table set up in the lower hyphen and also one set up across from Jack Kane Dining Center in Kryzsko Commons.

Students can purchase a ticket for $10 with their Winona State student identification card. Community members can purchase tickets for $15. More information about where and when tickets are being sold can be found on the Facebook page for the event.

According to Cheong, it is worth attending.

“You get so much good food and a whole night of entertainment for $10,” Cheong said.