Softball wins three out of four weekend matchups

A Warriors player awaits the pitch against Wayne State College on March 29 in Winona. The Warriors swept the Wildcats 6-2 and 8-0. (Photo by Emma Masiulewicz)

Kilat Fitzgerald / Winonan

The Winona State University softball team used the bats to its advantage over the weekend, scoring a total of 43 runs in four games. The Warriors swept the doubleheader against Minot State University and split the Sunday showdown against the University of Mary.

The opener saw the Warriors trouncing the Beavers 11-0.

Sophomore Jamee Schleis connected on a home run after hitting it to left field for the first score of the day, followed by senior Chelsey Rodenkirch and first-year Lani Van Zyl making RBI singles before junior Allyson O’Herron came in with an RBI double.

Once the Beavers’ shortstop made an error, Van Zyl came in to score for the fifth run of the inning.

Sophomore McKenna Larsen managed an RBI groundout during the second inning.

A home run to center field by Van Zyl in the third contributed to the score gap of 7-0 in favor of the Warriors.

The game was over in the sixth after four more runs in the sixth were made from an RBI single from sophomore Paige Keegan and a three-run burst from senior Natalie Kalmes to seal the game 11-0.

The second game of the day was another victory, but the Beavers made it on the board.

Heading into the seventh inning, the Warriors trailed 6-4, which was eradicated by senior Shannon Nelson leading off the inning with a single and senior Reed Karsten bringing her back with a two-run home run that tied the score 6-6. After an RBI single by Kalmes put the Warriors ahead, Larsen made a two-run shot of her own.

Rodenkirch launched a solo home run and the lead extended 10-6.

Karsten managed to secure the win after her three-run bomb to the center field locked down the Warrior score 13-6, her second home run of the inning.

On Sunday, the Warriors continued to produce runs, this time against the University of Mary Marauders. Game one was a win with 14 points against the Marauders’ five, while game two was a close loss 6-5.

In the day’s opener, the Warriors used a season-high 20 hits and tied their season-high in runs with 14.

Kalmes established an early lead when she picked up a RBI single in the first inning.

In the fourth inning, five more runs were made that allowed the Warriors to pull even further ahead before the Marauders cut into the lead 6-5.

Rodenkirch pushed the Warriors ahead in the sixth inning when she tripled and then scored on an error to bring in three home runs and a 9-5 lead. By the seventh inning, RBI doubles from Schleis and Keegan made it 12-5 before Larsen and Van Zyl landed the score at 14-5.

Senior pitcher Hanna Lythberg picked up the victory for Winona State on the hill, allowing five hits and a pair of earned runs while striking out nine, a season-high.

Though the Warriors were ready to do it all over again, the Marauders managed to win game two, 6-5.

The first two innings saw scores from Karsten and Rodenkirch to set the initial 2-0 lead.

Keegan extended the lead with an RBI groundout before U-Mary got a run towards the end of the third inning.

Two more runs were made by the Warriors but the seventh inning saw the Marauders record an RBI double in the seventh followed with back-to-back home runs which tied the game 5-5, forcing extra innings.

It was not until the bottom of the ninth inning that one RBI double pulled the Marauders ahead for the 6-5 victory.

Larsen gave up seven hits in four innings of work while picking up four strikeouts and one earned run before sophomore Alex Walker was called into relief.

Lythberg earned the loss on the mound despite not giving up a run and allowing a pair of hits in her two and a third innings of pitching.

Winona State (27-11, 9-6 NSIC) will host Minnesota State University, Mankato on Tuesday at 2 p.m. for a doubleheader at Alumni Field.