Track and field places first at conference matchup

Reid Peters / Winonan

The Winona State University track and field team earned the team title at the MIAA vs. NSIC conference matchup last weekend in Maryville, Mo. on the Northwest Missouri State University campus.

Winona State has had success within the last couple weekends to begin the outdoor season and head coach Mason Rebarchek is pleased with the team’s performance.

“It’s important to pay attention to what is necessary…we did a great job of competing,” Rebarchek said. “I think the ladies did a nice job.”

The Warriors took home two individual events. Senior Jordan Paschke got first place in the 500-meter run as she finished with a time of 18 minutes, 12.24 seconds. Junior Amanda Kaiser took home the other first place finish for the Warriors with a 4:54.29 in the 1500-meter run.

“We always have high hopes for our ladies,” Rebarchek said. “If somebody does well it isn’t usually a surprise.”

Winona State had three second-place finishes in three different throwing events, with sophomore Ashley Thooft throwing a personal best in the shot put with a toss that went the distance of 45-1/2.

Her throw secured a provisional qualifying mark as well as entered in the record books with the sixth-best throw in school history. Thooft went on and finished second in the discus with a throw of 150-7. Thooft received her second provisional qualifying mark of the day with this toss.

Junior Nicole Nelson reached a provisional qualifying mark herself in the hammer throw. Her toss of 177-7 earned her a second place spot.

Sophomore Brittany Schyvinck earned the Warriors a second place finish in the 400-meter dash with a time of 58.00.

Junior Megan Seidl shaved two hundredths off her previous best with a time of 24.47 seconds, which also earned the Warriors another second-place finish. Seidl’s new personal best also serves as the second fastest time in program history.

Senior Katie Bagley (2:18.91) finished second in the 800-meter run, while first year student Hope Willenbrink (2:20.75) and junior Madeline Tompach (2:23.85) finished third and fourth.

In total, the Warriors racked up 154 points, which secured them the top spot. Lincoln University, the 2016 indoor national champions, finished second with 149 points. Emporia State University, the University of Central Missouri and the Northwest Missouri State followed behind and finished third, fourth and fifth.

Winona State will travel to St. Peter, Minn. next Saturday for the Lee Krough invitational.