Q&A with Winona State’s new director of security

Cheney Mason / Winonan

Winona State University security is now under new leadership with the hiring of Christopher Chicosz as director of security.

The Winonan conducted an interview with the new director. Here is what he had to say about his move to Winona State:

Q: Where were you before you decided to take this job at Winona State University?

A: I’m from Winona originally, born and raised here. I went to school in Wyoming and then moved back to Winona.

I started working at the Sheriff’s office in 2001, and I was there ever since before coming here. I started in the jail and pretty much worked my way up to the chief deputy position.

In the jail for a time I got on patrol and then K-9 handling for a while and then into investigations. I did narcotics investigations for a few years and then was promoted to the chief deputy position before I came here to Winona State.

Q: What made you choose to leave your job as chief deputy and choose this position at Winona State?

A: Well, it was a very enticing opportunity for my family and I at the time, and I have always had kind of a desire to get back to a college setting, either teaching or what have you.

I wouldn’t be instructing or teaching yet, but I still have that influence to share some of my experiences with students that are in security and just who I happen to come upon in this position. So I’m pretty excited about that opportunity.

Q: Do you have any specific goals or plans for improving the security on campus? 

A: Right now I am mainly just trying to figure out what this job entails and get a better idea of what comes with it. I have a good idea of it, and I have been working with Scott Bestul. And I am still actually working with Don Walski who had worked here for quite a long time and did a very good job for a long time. Maybe just trying to see where we can improve or if stuff needs to be improved, I’m not exactly quite to that stage yet. I’m just trying to get a handle on what’s going on, but if there are things we can streamline, Scott Bestul and I kind of work together to get things working a little smoother.

We will start working on some of that this summer. This summer should be a good time for the security staff, even though a lot of students won’t be around, to work on things. It will be a good time for all of us and the university to collaborate and try to accomplish some goals.

Q: What do you think of Winona State’s security staff and the campus itself so far?

A: The people who are working security do a great job. They seem to have a pride for what they are doing and enjoy it. It can be a fun place to work, and everyone I have come in contact with is very pleasant.

I think it would be nice to have maybe more improvements on campus like some more cameras installed and things like that. We are working on some of that in some of the areas throughout the campus, main and the other side of campus as well.

Q: Is there anything else you would like students, staff and faculty to know? 

A: Anyone can reach out and get ahold of me. Feel free to contact me. I would like to meet obviously as many people as I can. I’m excited to be here.