Security personnel promote safety at Winona State

Cheney Mason / Winonan

The security staff at Winona State University witness a lot around campus, but this is just part of the job. The students are looking to help others, even if their major is not criminal justice.

Take senior Caitlyn Conners for example. She works dispatch for security in Sheehan Hall, but she is also a nursing student.

“I like being able to give back, and I like to keep the campus safe,” Conners said. “There are a few people that work here for dispatch including the two heads of security, Chris [Cichosz] and Scott [Bestule]. They are here during the day and during the week.”

Conners said her main job on a regular day is watching over campus from inside Sheehan Hall. She scans the cameras and emails, listens for calls on the police scanner and answers the phones.

When she is alerted to a potential danger to Winona State’s campus by Winona law enforcement, she notifies her fellow security staff about the issue.

Conners has worked security for the last three years and explained that while challenges come with working her job as dispatch, some of her friends in security rovers work hard to keep Winona State safe at all times.

“We have rovers that go out and go through campus responding to calls, and I know that can be challenging,” Conners said.

Conners mentioned protecting students adds another difficult element to the job most people do not realize exists.

“We’re peers and it’s our classmates; especially on the weekends and stuff when people are intoxicated and not wanting to cooperate,” Conners said.

Dave Shapiro, another member of security, explained how working the night shifts makes this a regular part of the job.

“There’s always the normal just drunks. People get sent to detox. Medical calls are tough to deal with. Those can be pretty serious,” Shapiro said.   “I can’t say many details other than that.”

Shapiro said he puts up with campus nightlife because he is happy to give back to the Winona State community and help keep students and faculty out of danger.

“I’m criminal justice and law enforcement so this job just made sense.” Shapiro said. “It really goes along with my career choice.”

Even for Conners, who is not working in a field she will make a career out of, she said she loves working for security because it is a great job for her.

While it was chance that landed Shapiro his job, he is thankful he took it.

“I needed a job, they had an opening for security, so I took it,” Shapiro said. “It’s a really good job to have.”